Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is there a way to split quote?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore

• Members
  • 271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:36 AM

Is there a way to reply and quote and be able to break up the quote so as to intersperse my comments?

On many boards, there is markup that can be copied. I don't see how to do that here.

Running Win 10 & Office 365.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:40 AM

Is there a way to reply and quote and be able to break up the quote so as to intersperse my comments?

Like this?

On many boards, there is markup that can be copied. I don't see how to do that here.

At the point where you wish to make the break, add in bbcode:

(/quote)Remark(quote) Except enclose the preceding in square brackets.

HTH :)

Edited by 1PW, 29 August 2014 - 10:45 AM.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:43 AM

You can simply reply.

There is no logical reason to use the Quote button...unless it is patently unclear in the topic just what you are responding to.  That only occurs if there are a number of members who have posted and you choose to respond to something that was less-than-immediately preceding your comments.  We prefer for members to use one of the two Reply buttons when posting responses where it is patently clear to whom and to what you are responding.

This is a good example :).  This is (obviously) a 2-person "conversation" and there is no need to itemize each point, no matter how many there are.  Even if you had listed 50 items for consideration...one response such as mine...without using the Quote button...would do the job.

Louis

#4 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 271 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:11 PM

Like this?

[/quote]

Exactly!

At the point where you wish to make the break, add in bbcode:

(/quote)Remark(quote) Except enclose the preceding in square brackets.

I think you meant "replace the the parentheses with square brackets, right? I'm not nitpicking, just practicing the quoting.

HTH :)

Hmmm... I don't think I quite have the hang of it... :(

#5 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 271 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:19 PM

You can simply reply.

There is no logical reason to use the Quote button...unless it is patently unclear in the topic just what you are responding to.  That only occurs if there are a number of members who have posted and you choose to respond to something that was less-than-immediately preceding your comments.  We prefer for members to use one of the two Reply buttons when posting responses where it is patently clear to whom and to what you are responding.

This is a good example :).  This is (obviously) a 2-person "conversation" and there is no need to itemize each point, no matter how many there are.  Even if you had listed 50 items for consideration...one response such as mine...without using the Quote button...would do the job.

Louis

I always enjoy having someone lecture me on why what I want to do is illogical, while completely ignoring my question.

If someone responds with several points or suggestions, I contend that it is far clearer to insert my response immediately underneath each point, rather than have to repeat it in my reply.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users