Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avast Win32:Evo-Gen

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Raszero

Raszero

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:17 AM

So every time I load up my computer for a few days I get this message. I haven't experienced any negative effects I know of but for a recurring issue I assume its something I should do something about... http://i.imgur.com/9sj6rWN.png

Since it's software I'm not sure whats relevant, but I have a Windows 7 Toshiba Satelitte, had it for a few years, Avast Program version 2014.9.0.2021. I posted this on reddit and one user said it may be a false positive and linked me to a similar thread here and other said it could be a rootkit, so I'd like to be doubly sure if possible.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:38 AM

If you know the full path of that file, delete it and see if it comes back. It's a temp file so CCleaner might remove it depending on it's path.

Edit: Did you run anything Bitdefender related. Just asking because the file name is similar.

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 August 2014 - 08:39 AM.

#3 Raszero

Raszero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:44 AM

I deleted the file and I didnt have anything on startup! And ive not heard of bitdefender and website didnt look similar, so not knowingly. Will it be ok now or should I take any precautions?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:07 AM

You should be okay. You can do a scan with Malwarebytes free which should pick up anything avast! missed. Just make sure you opt out of the pro version during install. Another thing you can do is to go into avast setting and under Antivirus select Hardened mode > Aggressive.  This mode will protect you more. Avast maintains a huge whitelist and will keep you from installing something that is not recognized.

Hardened Mode: Aggressive
This mode behaves a bit differently. It actually relies on analysis on a very small scale and mostly relies on a huge whitelist database located in avast! Cloud. If file is located within the cloud and flagged as safe, it will allow to run it. If it's not found or marked as bad, it will block it. So, at least based on my experience, Aggressive Mode is actually much more secure and also a lot less intrusive. Only time that it will cause problems is with some very rare old software or very very new software that isn't used by thousands of users. Usually some very specialized programs used by only few users.
Moderate mode often feels a bit too paranoid (despite its name) because it often blocks safe programs just because they exhibit local suspicious file characteristics that are basically ignored by the Aggressive mode.

#5 Raszero

Raszero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:11 AM

I did that, thanks! I'll hope it's all cleared up for now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users