Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very,very wierd problem

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Eugenije

Eugenije

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:32 AM

Hello. Well I've got a huge problem with my system. It seems that all of my accounts don't appear in Control Panel. Instead it shows an error. (LINK:http://picpaste.com/untitled-HYpSbhvy.jpg)

I can't logon normally on Welcome screen-it doesen't show anything. Cmd with net user command shows all accounts. I tried System Restore on the Point most further in the past but it didn't do anything.

I can logon on any account if I press CTRL+ALT+DEL 2 times. Can I fix this without reinstalling Windows.

Also I've had ESET Smart Security. It showed an error that the firewall failed to start. In that time my brother was at home and he tried to uninstall it. He deleted all files which he could from the Progra~1\ESET directory and deleted the "All programs" folder of ESET. I came home and I saw this and uninstalled ESET through Control Panel. I also used the Uninstaller in Safe Mode as provided on their site.

When I wanted to reinstall it Windows Installer showed an error every time I tried to install any version of ESET and NOD32.

I runned ComboFix. It just stayed at the Scan window for 2 hours. I turned it off and restored my computer to previous state(with System Restore).

What the hell can I do to fix this?

I am posting for the first time.

Sorry if I missed the right forum in which to create this topic.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 29 August 2014 - 02:17 PM

Try the following net user command

net localgroup administrators [username] /add

Does it bring up the account name an login now? It seems that error shows up in XP but nobody seems to know how to solve the problem. Hopefully adding the account name to the Administrators group will work.

You can see if the account name is linked to a group by typing

net user [username]

Look in the listing for Local Group Memberships. Also look to see if the account is active.

#3 Eugenije

Eugenije
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:38 AM

I did the net localgroup administrators /add command.

It has been completed successfully but still nothing. Control Panel shows noting.

Heres info on the account with net user command(LINK:http://picpaste.com/untitled-wQ2t5oio.jpg).

I think this error and the corruption have something to do with HKLM\SAM\SAM\Domains\Account\Users\Names\[username] corruption. Can't figure out why or how to fix this. I ran Combofix again and it scanned for over 6 hours and  it remained at grep.3xe step. I restored my system so I didn't have any damage. If DDS helps I'll give you its log.

#4 Laith225

Laith225

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:27 AM

Run chkdsk via cmd
How to access
Windows Button+R
Type in cmd
and in cmd type in chkdsk
If that dosent work i think you should reinstall because i think it's most likely that your favicon.ico is missing or corrupted.
If you dont want to reinstall then download MBAM(Malwarebytes) Chameleon Link: http://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/chameleon/
Run any file in there and after chameleon is done install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free. Link: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware//
Install and run a quick scan. After that post the log. If you have the problem still then report.

Regards
Laith

Edited by Queen-Evie, 30 August 2014 - 09:51 PM.
removed unnecessary quote

#5 Eugenije

Eugenije
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:06 AM

Hi Laith,I did scanning with MBAM and it found nothing,as well as Avast! and ESET Online Scanner.

I don't think I've got malware problems. I did chkdsk /f with no changes.

Can someone tell me what is wrong with this installation log of ESS7.

How can I reinstall it without errors?

(LINK OF LOG:http://pastebin.com/VBfAY5Kn).

#6 Laith225

Laith225

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:14 AM

Then i think the problem is the favicon.ico is missing or corrupted. If i were you i would backup my files. Get the serial key from the back for WIndows XP and then re-install it.

Regards
Laith

Edit: Dang it, Sorry the chkdsk command was wrong. It is chkdsk /r C: try that i think that should fix your problem. If not then run sfc /scannow in cmd. That should work, If not then find a sample of favicon.ico or re-install windows.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 30 August 2014 - 09:52 PM.
removed unnecessary quote

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:18 AM

Chkdsk /r includes the chkdsk /f command, functionally.  The chkdsk /r command is more complete, will attempt to recover files from bad sectors...in addition to all functions executed by chkdsk /f command.  The C: is totally unnecessary, since without a designation of partition...the command will run on the Windows partition.

Louis

#8 Laith225

Laith225

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:31 AM

Chkdsk /r includes the chkdsk /f command, functionally.  The chkdsk /r command is more complete, will attempt to recover files from bad sectors...in addition to all functions executed by chkdsk /f command.  The C: is totally unnecessary, since without a designation of partition...the command will run on the Windows partition.

Louis

Oh thanks for letting me know. :D

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:36 AM

Do the accounts show in safe mode? You should at least see an Administrator account. Another thing to try. At the login screen press Ctrl+Alt+Del twice in sequence. You should get a login box. Type in your user name and password.

#10 Eugenije

Eugenije
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:07 PM

It seems all were wrong. I did sfc command and later tried to google this error.

Now I'm certain SAM.file in system32\config is corrupted.

The good thing is that you can fix it by deleting SAM-if Windows detects no SAM.file on logon it will create a new one with just Administrator accont with blank password.

My only question now is how can I delete SAM(obviously can't when Windows is running)?

Does the recovery console have del command?

I did use it long time ago but forgot...

No matter,thanks for all who tried to help.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:45 PM

You can delete SAM outside of Windows using a linux disk. Download Puppy linux, burn the iso and boot. Click once on your system drive in the lower left corner of the desktop. Probably sda1. Browse to SAM and delete. I am not sure if XP will create a new one. If you have System Restore enabled you can copy one from a restore point to the System32/config directory.

This this post on how to copy the SAM file from the registery. If using Puppy, it will be easier to have two File Manager Windows open. One for the config directory and the other for the System Restore Directory. Just click again on sda1 to open another File Manager Window. Then drag and drop between windows.

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 August 2014 - 07:49 PM.

#12 Laith225

Laith225

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:32 AM

Or use a lesser space on a USB, Get a DOS iso into a usb (Circa 8mb) and do the commands there

cd C:/WINDOWS/config

del Sam

Easy.

Edited by Laith225, 31 August 2014 - 05:37 AM.

#13 Eugenije

Eugenije
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 04:23 AM

I'll try this later.

If Windows won't create it I'll copy it from WINDOWS\repair

#14 Laith225

Laith225

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 05:36 AM

Okey, No problem!

We at BleepingComputer are glad to help.

Edited by Laith225, 31 August 2014 - 05:37 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users