Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

black screen and moving cursor

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wertamaki

wertamaki

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:19 AM

Hello everyone,

this is my first post here, and I will try to follow instructions listed in "Before You Post About A Problem".

1. Using a topic title that explains the problem

black screen and moving cursor

2. Explain your question or problem with as many details

a friend of mine asked me to clean his PC from malware/viruses.

I installed free AVIRA antivirus 2014, searched for viruses, deleted bunch of them. Additionally I ran CCleaner, deleted a bunch of other error files, etc. I did not backup anything. After restarting, I (and apparently many other users) have a problem - black screen and moving white cursor.

Computer boots normally, I enter password for Win7, then it goes to completely black screen, only mouse cursor visible. I can move the cursor, but left/right buttons are inoperable. Pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete leads to a MENU where you can choose to LOCK PC, CHANGE PASSWORD, RUN TASK MANAGER, TURN PC OFF. However, TASK MANAGER does not work.

Safe mode leads to the same result - black screen, except for "SAFE MODE" message on the 4 corners and MICROSOFT ® WINDOWS ® (BUILD 7601:Service Pack 1 message on top center.

3. Advise what operating system

PC - Acer ZC3, Ferrari 5000 series

OS - Windows 7 (in Russian), 32 bit.

4. Include any steps you have taken already to fix your problem

Unfortunately, i dont have a repair disk. But pressing F8 after BIOS I can access ADVANCED BOOT OPTIONS. Choosing 1st option (REPAIR YOUR COMPUTER) leads me to SYSTEM RESTORE menu with 5 options. Pressing 1st option starts scanning PC for errors, reports 'no errors found'. 2nd option says 'no restore points found'. 3rd option says 'no system image found'. 4th option scans PC memory, finds no errors. 5th option is more interesting - command line. 

From there I learned, e.g. windows drive is on d: (and not on c:), I can see my friend's files are alive. DIR C: command says "drive C is reserved by the system".

Running SFC /SCANNOW does not really scan but instantly says that I need to restart the system to restore files. Restarting and repeating SFC /SCANNOW leads to the same loop.

After that, I ran a complete scan using Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 (using USB-boot). This software found / quarantined / disinfected / deleted hundreds of more viruses / malware. Interestingly, Kaspersky Rescue Disk shows that system files are all on C:

However, all these steps did not resolve the issue.

5. follow the rule: one problem, one post

Problem: PC does not get any further than a black screen.

6. Double check the information

I did.

7. take the time to read what you are posting

I tried to provide all the details, and double-checked. But if there is anything missing I am more than glad to reply.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,026 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 03 September 2014 - 06:14 PM

Hello, sorry you have waited..

So after all that you are still having a black screen.. Can you tell me r post what some of he infections were.

I would like to try another scan if possible. you may have to try booting to Safe Mode with networking.

I'd like us to scan your machine with ESET OnlineScan
  • Hold down Control and click on this link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
  • Click the esetonlinebtn.png button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    • Click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    • Double click on the esetsmartinstaller_enu.png
      icon on your desktop.
  • Check "YES, I accept the Terms of Use."
  • Click the Start button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check "Scan Archives" and "Remove found threats"
  • Click Advanced settings and select the following:
    • Scan potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, click List Threats
  • Click Export, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Click the Back button.
  • Click the Finish button.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users