Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

black screen and moving cursor

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 wertamaki

wertamaki

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 29 August 2014 - 03:33 AM

Hello everyone,

after following many similar topics in this forum and elsewhere to no avail for three days, decided to start a new topic.

Here is the story:

a friend of mine asked me to clean his PC from malware/viruses.

I installed free AVIRA antivirus 2014, searched for viruses, deleted bunch of them. Additionally I ran CCleaner, deleted a bunch of other error files, etc. I did not backup anything. 

After restarting, I (and apparently many other users) have a problem - black screen and moving cursor.

INFO:

PC - Acer ZC3, Ferrari 5000 series

OS - Windows 7 (in Russian), I am not sure if it is 32 or 64 bit.

EDIT: running a command "wmic os get OSarchitecture" in CMD shows my system is 32-bit (thanks to http://superuser.com/questions/321988/how-do-i-determine-if-my-windows-is-32-bit-or-64-bit-using-a-command).

Computer boots normally, I enter password for Win7, then it goes to completely black screen, only mouse cursor visible. I can move the cursor, but left/right buttons are inoperable. Pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete leads to a MENU where you can choose to LOCK PC, CHANGE PASSWORD, RUN TASK MANAGER, TURN PC OFF. However, TASK MANAGER does not work.

Safe mode leads to the same result - black screen, except for "SAFE MODE" message on the 4 corners and MICROSOFT ® WINDOWS ® (BUILD 7601:Service Pack 1 message on top center. 

Unfortunately, i dont have a repair disk. But pressing F8 after BIOS I can access ADVANCED BOOT OPTIONS. Choosing 1st option (REPAIR YOUR COMPUTER) leads me to SYSTEM RESTORE menu with 5 options. Pressing 1st option starts scanning PC for errors, reports 'no errors found'. 2nd option says 'no restore points found'. 3rd option says 'no system image found'. 4th option scans PC memory, finds no errors. 5th option is more interesting - command line. 

From there I learned, e.g. windows drive is on d: (and not on c:), I can see my friend's files are alive. DIR C: command says "drive C is reserved by the system".

Running SFC /SCANNOW does not really scan but instantly says that I need to restart the system to restore files. Restarting and repeating SFC /SCANNOW leads to the same loop.

I tried to provide all the details, but if there is anything missing I am more than glad to reply.

Waiting your help.

Cheers, Wertamaki.  

Edited by wertamaki, 29 August 2014 - 03:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 29 August 2014 - 03:53 AM

Have you tried a boot disc rescue program?  Kaspersky has a free on to use. 

Rescue Disk 10

Then follow the guide here.

If you are still having issue, please go over to the "Am I infected" Forum.  Found here. and follow the directions.  Please wait, it can take a few days, they are smart but there are a few of them and many, many people looking for help

good luck

cz

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#3 wertamaki

wertamaki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:30 AM

Hello czarboom,

thank you for a prompt reply.

As per your advice I ran Kaspersky Rescue Disk, it did find another hundred viruses / malware. However, this did not solve the issue - I restarted and again I have the same black screen.

I started a new topic at "am I infected" forum, let's see what smart people will recommend me.

Hopefully I will get the problem solved and post the results here.

Good luck,

Wertamaki.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,405 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:10 AM

This topic is closed to avoid confusion, pending resolution of new topic to be initiated in Am I Infected forum.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 29 August 2014 - 08:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users