Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Visuall C++ 2005 Redistributable installation stalls

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 featherless

featherless

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:45 AM

The install stalls for a very long time when it first starts the install. Message saying "Please wait while Windows configures Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable" with nothing else but the cancel button.

After about 15 minutes, the progress bar comes up with "Gathering required information..." above it. The bar will progress to almost near the end then I have to wait a long while again.

Then "Preparing to remove older versions of this application..." and stalls again near the end.

Then it returns to the first message where it has the "Please wait" message and nothing but a cancel button.

Then a progress bar appears again, just a bar no accompanying text, and stalls at zero, no progress.

It goes through multiple stages of progress bars that finish quickly then it asks to repair.

If I wait long enough it will go through its cycle and complete itself. All the stalls are about the same length.

After that, the Microsoft DirectX installation goes through the same length stalls, first stalling at Initializing.

No other install has this issue and in fact they are fairly quick. C++ redist and DirectX are the two that always stalls and takes forever.

I have had this issue with many installs of windows 7 previous to my current one and I never really tried to fix it due to me being patient and usually having other things to do. It has gotten to the point that I am tired of waiting for this every time I install something.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 29 August 2014 - 03:41 AM

hello,

This is a common issue check this link out, and see if anything helps.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/460717/microsoft-visual-c-2005-redistributable-wont-install/

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#3 featherless

featherless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 05:13 AM

Thanks. I remember seeing this around. Didn't try this fix though because I never got an error message; the install generally completes itself, just after an immense amount of time. I will try this out and will let you know if it fixes it.

EDIT: I tried the fix, applied the " fsutil resource setautoreset true C:\" restarted and tried again but it is still acting the same.

EDIT2: Following that thread to see what his solution will be.

Edited by featherless, 29 August 2014 - 02:00 PM.

#4 featherless

featherless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:55 PM

UPDATE: I managed to fix it by running the .net repair tool they had provided and reinstalling all the .net packages that had problems. Thank you for the help.

#5 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:25 PM

yeah I was getting there.  .Net is a special kid, and it HAS to be in order for it to work.  Visual Basic, Win Server on and on

good job

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users