Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How sensitive is your hard drive's G-sense error rate?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 signofzeta

signofzeta

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 28 August 2014 - 11:57 PM

I created a thread stating how my G-sense error rate kept on slowly rising and I don't even bump it or move it.  It's like the wind is causing it to rise, well maybe not.  I read other forums and nobody seems to have a concrete answer.  The worst thing to do is to have a hard drive crash on you, and it is just as bad to take the time to replace it or waste cash on a new one when the old one was still working, due to overly sensitive sensors.

This thread is to check how sensitive your G-sense error rates are, and to find out if the G-sense error rate sensitivity is the same depending on hard drive brand, or if it is all variable.  This thread is not a "help, my G-sense error rate is rising" thread.  More like a survey on the sensitivity of the G-sense error rate, and the likelihood for it to rise depending on how rough you treat your hard drive.

The questions I want answered are these:

What brand of hard drive do you use?

On average, how many power on hours does it take for your G-sense error rate raw value to go up by 1, or much does your G-sense error rate raw value go up by per power on hour?

If it rises at a fast rate, do you have any read error rates, write error rates, or some form of bad sectors?  Does your hard drive pass any tests?

Do you constantly bump into your computer, typically a laptop, or move it while it is on?

Is your G-sense error rate is not sensitive enough, that is, the raw value won't rise and you are basically carrying your laptop non-stop, and shaking it, bumping into it all the time, or is your G-sense error rate too sensitive, such that the laptop is on a flat surface, and nothing is bumping into it and your G-sense error rate is rising, but there are no bad sectors, read errors, or write errors, or somewhere in between?

If your G-sense error rate does rise, do you think you should leave it, or replace the drive?

This is what is happening for myself:

WDC WD7500BPKX-80HPJT0

G-sense error rate increased by 15 in 280 power on hours.  This is not an average, but sometimes, the G-sense error rate would go up by 1 in 3 hours, sometimes it would go up in 100 hours.

No read errors, no write errors, no bad sectors.  Hard drive passes the datalifeguard short and extended tests.

I don't even move my laptop or bump into it, at least not a huge bump anyway.  My laptop is always in the same location.

My G-sense error rate rises despite me not touching my laptop.  I would leave it running and sometimes the G-sense would go up by 1.

For now, I am going to leave it.  But it is hard to tell if your hard drive is going to have problems in the future because of this slowly rising G-sense error rate.  All hard drive tests pass, but I can't be sure if these test are going to fail in the future because of the slowly rising G-sense error rate.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:29 PM

IMO...this type of "survey" does not belong in the Internal Hardware forum, since this forum (and all other computer forums) are predicated on the basis of assisting members with problems, not gathering possibly superfluous data about SMART data specs.

I suggest that you might actually get more useful data for your inquiry...by employing Google.

For full reference purposes...I post the link to your previous topic, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/542367/g-sense-error-rate-raw-value-increasing/ .

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 30 August 2014 - 07:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users