Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't boot into OS - Tried Boot repair programs

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 KallyCoda

KallyCoda

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:28 PM

Running Win7 64 bit on HP Pavillion.  Boot was skethcy over last couple of days and I can no longer get past the boot menu.  Tried System Repair multiple times as well as bootrec and bootsect commands (ALL).  When I run those, the system returns message stating "a device attached to the system is not functioning".  I would attempt a restore to factory defaults but have too much personal data (family pics) loaded since my last backup.  Lesson learned on that count.  Is this most likely a problem with the physical HDD?  I'd appreciate and would be happy to try any recommendations or options to at least get this booted up one last time. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KallyCoda

KallyCoda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:30 PM

Adding to the inital post.  It doesn't appear that an operating system is detected in any of the sectors or drives when I attempted to repair the boot mbr...

#3 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:49 PM

One of the easiest ways to recover/backup your data (if you don't have another Windows PC with an extra SATA port) is to download and burn a Linux Live CD. You can boot your computer from the CD into a working Linux install, and, if the hard drive is still functioning, you can "mount" the hard drive in Linux and copy all your important files to an external USB drive etc. I know that may sound overly complicated, but it's actually really easy and only takes a few simple steps. It's something I have to do a-lot when all else fails!

As far as repairing Windows, I'm horrible at giving remote support for boot issues etc. I'm no good unless I'm sitting in front of the computer  :P But hopefully someone else here can help you out.

Even then, I would recommend trying to backup your data FIRST--if your hard drive IS dying, you might not have much time to save the data. I'd be happy to assist you with downloading, burning, and running a Linux Live CD if you're interested! Otherwise, I know there are some other bootable tools for data recovery (I'm pretty sure Acronis has one, if you would rather just pay for a solution!).

Edited by kokomodrums, 28 August 2014 - 10:50 PM.

-- Matt

#4 KallyCoda

KallyCoda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:54 PM

Thanks.  I do believe the hard drive is functioning as I can 'see' the files in it when I attempt to run the repair or restore programs.  However, I can't find the drivers to get it to boot up.  Appreciate the advice on the Linux install and at least have hope that not all is lost. My first goal for sure is to back the data up and I won't proceed with anything drastic (short of fixing the boot problem) until then.  Do you by chance have a link that does a good job at explaining the process your suggesting?

#5 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:57 PM

Here is a decent article that explains downloading, burning and booting the CD. There is a section that has you type in some command line code, I would NOT recommend doing that if you're not familiar with Linux. If you do have an issue with opening the hard drive, just post back and I will try to help!

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

It doesn't mention this in the article, but you might have to change the 'boot order' in your BIOS to boot from the CD instead of the hard drive-- but I suppose you might know that already if you're using the recovery console!

Either way, if you get stuck on anything feel free to ask!

Edited by kokomodrums, 28 August 2014 - 10:59 PM.

-- Matt

#6 KallyCoda

KallyCoda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2014 - 11:04 PM

Perfect!  Just what I need and thanks.  I'm going to attempt this when I can comandeer my daughter's laptop.  I'm on a Lenovo X1 right at the moment which doesn't have a disk drive.  Changing the boot order is easy enough.  Once again, much appreciated!!!

#7 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:52 PM

You should be able to "burn" the Linux ISO (disk) file to a USB flash drive, if you don't have a CD drive. Just FYI.

-- Matt

#8 KallyCoda

KallyCoda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 02:02 PM

Thx.  Just launched Image Burn but can't select the USB as the destination.  It only looks for a disk drive.

#9 KallyCoda

KallyCoda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 03:11 PM

I'm burning Ubuntu Desktop to CD at the moment.  Will keep you posted and thanks again for the support!

#10 KallyCoda

KallyCoda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:04 AM

Kokomo -

I've 'installed' Linux (Ubuntu) as per the link you directed me to.  However, I still do not see my drvie of files directory.  so basically, I can't proceed past the point where I make a directory to mount the drive to.  Any suggestions???

#11 KallyCoda

KallyCoda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:21 AM

I think I'm DOA here.  Just ran the Disk utility in Ubuntu and it sees all my usb drive's and my external backup drive, but no HDD.  Anyone have any suggestions???

#12 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 01:30 PM

Sorry, I forgot to mention that you can burn the image to a USB drive, but not with ImageBurn.

I haven't used the newer versions of Ubuntu yet, let me install the latest version really quick and I will try to guide you as best as I can.

If all else fails, there is a Linux & Unix subforum, the users there will have a lot more experience with mounting drives in Ubuntu.

-- Matt

#13 KallyCoda

KallyCoda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:41 PM

Thanks.  Now I realize I absolutely need to access my files.  For whatever reason (probably my ignorance) I've left major segments out of my backups, for example about 1 month's worth of music if played non-stop!  I'd appreciate ANY further help.

#14 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:57 PM

When you downloaded Ubuntu, did you just download the latest version from their website (14.04.1)? Or did you download an older version? I just noticed that that article is going off of version 8.04, and a lot has changed in Ubuntu since then.

-- Matt

#15 KallyCoda

KallyCoda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:07 PM

I believe it was the latest version from their website. Quite different looking than reflected in the article.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users