Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with recovering data

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 harupopo

harupopo

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:38 PM

I recently copy and pasted my laptop's hard drive local disk data on my external hard drive. I then deleted all the data on my hard drive. How can I put all the copy and paste data back? Or is it impossible and I need to reinstall everything? I also copied the "Users" folder, can I at least restore everything on my background? Also, when I right click my windows background, the graphic card options aren't there anymore. I deleted the data and used a Window 7 Installation Disk to recover. I dont seem to have any security either. Do I need to buy all of them again?

I'm not sure what its called, so the thing I'm calling background has the options Screen Resolutions, Gadgets, and Personalize when you right click on it.

Edited by harupopo, 28 August 2014 - 09:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:36 AM

Hi,

All of the data, not programs, that are on your hard drive can be copied back to your internal drive.

Programs will have to be reinstalled one by one

You should not have to repurchase any of the programs you currently own, developers understand crashes

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 29 August 2014 - 04:25 PM

As dicke said you will have to reinstall all of your programs.  I'd recommend only copying over what you need, not the entire Users folder.  Normally people want the following folders out of their user's directory:  Desktop, Download, Favorites, My Documents, Pictures, Videos, and Music.  DO NOT delete the rest until after you know you do not need it.  Some programs, Thunderbird comes to mind, store their data in the App Data.

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:41 PM

What he said :thumbsup:

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic