Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard shortcut locks up keyboard (Toshiba Satellite)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MissHeart

MissHeart

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 28 August 2014 - 06:02 PM

Hi. I recently purchased a Toshiba Satellite Click 2 Pro and at the top, two of the keys increase/decrease the screen brightness (much like two of the keys at the top of a Mac do the same). Well, I discovered that if I press the key to decrease the screen brightness too quickly and bring it down all the way to the lowest brightness and keep clicking, it turns off the keyboard! As in, none of the keyboard keys will work anymore.

The only way I know of to fix it is to restart the keyboard. I'm wondering if there's a way to 1) disable the fact that it does this, and 2) find a way to turn the keyboard back on without restarting the computer, since it is, quite frankly, annoying when I have three word documents and about 10 browser tabs open. I can't figure out how to disable/stop this one key by using the keyboard settings/ toggling the hotkeys/etc.

Honestly, I'm not even sure if this is a Windows 8 issue or Toshiba issue. Has anyone else had this problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 05:11 AM

If under warranty, return this to the store ASAP for replacement/repair. There's not much we can recommend you do, hardware-wise, that you can do and not void the warranty.

I suspect the keyboard may be sticking,,, you can try another USB KB for troubleshooting though. Plug in the USB KB and see if that behavior is duplicated using that KB.

Let us know

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:13 AM

I realize that this is a Satellite Click 2 Pro, but what is the rest of the model?

Have you checked your manual to see what the normal operation of the keys are?

Does restarting the computer restore the keyboard?

I would check these things out before taking the computer back to the store.  At this point you haven't really proven that you have a problem.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:40 PM

I got a Toshiba Satellite as well and found that sometimes the keyboard would not input and seem to lock up like you describe. I found pressing the left ctrl key unlocked it. Some keys have a double function or Fn+. On mine it was set from the factory that the function keys was always enabled which was annoying as hell. So if you hit F1-F12 it was doing the funky things you wouldn't expect turning wifi off, brightness etc. If you go into bios you can change the way the function keys work so that the FN key must be held down first before doing the special functions. That way F1-F12 does what it supposed to do like a normal keyboard function. I am speculating that there is some buggy thing with that feature in the bios and when you press the button the system doesn't work properly knowing if it is a FN+ key you want to use or use the normal functions. After changing it in the bios I had no other issues. I am not sure why they would want that it defeats the purpose of even having a FN key lol. If you accidentally hit a wrong key your keyboard wigs out typing weird characters or whatever. Hope that helps.

#5 Bleenoob

Bleenoob

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:15 PM

I had a very similar problem with 3 HP Pavillion G6 Laptops using Windows 8.1. As technonymous mentions, "Some keys have a double function or Fn+" . This with the keyboard accessibility options in Control Panel caused the same symptoms. I solved this by first disabling the additional functions in the BIOS which meant I had to select Fn before adjusting the volume or brightness, whereas before all I had to do was to press a function key. I also disabled all the keyboard accessibility functions in the 'Windows Ease of Access" settings and re-installed the keyboard driver. I haven't had any issues since with any of the laptop keyboards. 

Hope this helps

#6 MissHeart

MissHeart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:59 AM

Update: I downloaded a new driver today that has updated the keyboard and it's been working okay... time will tell if it holds up. If not, I'll call Toshiba and ask what's up (it is under a very very extended warranty so that's good, at least).

I do think it's kind of annoying to have those functions instead of the FN keys, so I may do what you suggested, technonymous and bleenoob, and change the settings in the BIOS to reverse it. I think that will be so much easier to handle. :) Thanks for your responses! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users