Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardware compatibility questions for new cpu and O/S

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 333nnn

333nnn

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 28 August 2014 - 05:27 PM

I am upgrading my cpu and operating system from XP to W8.1.  I'll be installing either a Core 2 duo E8600 or a Dual Pentium E6800 cpu.  I'm also installing a video card.  I only use my computer to surf the internet, check emails, and watch Youtube videos.  Which video card should I get?  Good ones for my uses are available for $20-$30 from what I understand.  I'll be buying W8.1 from Newegg so I'd like to buy the video card from Newegg or Amazon.  Is my heatsink, cpu fan, and power supply compatible with either cpu I end up installing?  I'll probably install more RAM later.  Thanks for any replies.  

My current computer specs:

Motherboard: ASUS P5G41T-M LX PLUS, Intel G41 Socket 775 

O/S: XP Home 32 Bit, SP3, version 2002

RAM: 4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3, 1333 MT/S

CPU: Intel Celeron Dual Core E1200, 1.6 GHz, 512K, 800 MHz, OEM, Advanced

Intel G41 Express Chipset

Performance Series, Allendale, socket 775

PSU: Power Up 450 Watt ATX

HD: WD Caviar SE, 320G, IDE

Monitor: Samsung 2032NW, SyncMaster, 5ms, 3000:1, Dynamic Contrast, 20”

DVD burner: Memorex multi format, double layer

CPU fan:Ultra X Wind, aluminum socket

Case: from an old Compaq Presario

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 28 August 2014 - 06:25 PM

Hi 333nnn and :welcome:

This platform you have is too old.Maybe since 2008 year.To put Win8.1 but for this motherboard are there drivers compatible.

PSU: Power Up 450 Watt ATX - maybe a fake one and if it is also since 2008 you must buy another one.These motherboard has integrated video so no need to buy video especially for 20-30$.The CPU is second hand maybe.What about warranty?

Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users