Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP lap top requires power cord at all times for use....battery issue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 michellefadden

michellefadden

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 28 August 2014 - 03:11 PM

Hi,

HP Pavilion lap top (3 yrs old) has stopped turning on unless I have it plugged into power source.  It will not charge, and if I unplug it even for one second, the computer shuts off completely.  I assume I just need to get a new battery.. but in case there are other possibilities that could be causing this that I'm not aware of, I thought I'd check here first.  Any tips are appreciated.  thank :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 28 August 2014 - 03:18 PM

Hi,

It sounds like either the battery or the charging circuit. If you can get a good battery for a short test that should eliminate one of them. A three year old battery is suspect just because of age.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 29 August 2014 - 02:41 PM

The laptop will only run while connected to the power adapter, this coupled with the fact that the battery will not take a charge makes it pretty clear that the battery needs to be replaced.

When you go to purchase a new one make sure that the new battery matches all of the specs of the old one.  Voltage, Amp hour or current rating, number of cells.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 29 August 2014 - 03:48 PM

Here is the page for the HP Battery Check.  It will tell you if your battery needs to be replaced.  My experience is that the battery has failed.  Unfortunately batteries are normally under warranty for 1 year, even if the machine warranty is longer.  I only recommend replacing with the manufacturer's battery.  Even the manufacturers have issues with their batteries exploding in their machines taking the chance with a third party isn't worth the risk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users