Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I set my Mac to Accept Downloads from Non-Apple sites?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JayJax

JayJax

• Members
  • 693 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 28 August 2014 - 11:58 AM

I'm trying to download several programs and I am unable to install them because they are from unknown sources???

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2014 - 12:02 PM

That is due to Gatekeeper.  Here is info on Gatekeeper, including how to adjust its settings:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5290

#3 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 693 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2014 - 12:41 PM

That is due to Gatekeeper.  Here is info on Gatekeeper, including how to adjust its settings:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5290

Thanks, that's very helpful, I appreciate the link.     I will change my Gatekeeper settings temporarily so that I can install the 2 programs I want to add.

#4 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 28 August 2014 - 01:01 PM

"closed app stores" ( as in operating systems that will only accept programs/apps from a certain source) are a bit weird, they are good from a security standpoint but bad from a civilised standpoint UNLESS the user is free to circumvent the closed source restriction when they want something from outside of the store, however rarely, or often, that is.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 693 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2014 - 01:21 PM

I have had issues with Apple being unable to download certain Apple updates and apps without entering my credit card number and I have a very sincere issue with that, its an invasion of my privacy and if its a FREE UPDATE as Apple says why are they hassling me for my personal financial information.   Apple is not on my list of favorites to deal with.

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:04 PM

"closed app stores" ( as in operating systems that will only accept programs/apps from a certain source) are a bit weird, they are good from a security standpoint but bad from a civilised standpoint UNLESS the user is free to circumvent the closed source restriction when they want something from outside of the store, however rarely, or often, that is.

The Mac OS does not require only apps from a "closed app store" (aka Apple's Mac App Store). You can install apps that you get from anywhere (assuming it is an app that will run on a Mac, of course).

In this situation, the issue was Apple's "GateKeeper" feature of recent versions of the Mac OS. For those that want more security (in theory), you can choose to only allow apps from Apple's App Store to be downloaded and installed or from the App Store and "Identified Developers". If you don't want that added security (again, in theory), then you can set it to download and install anything (that runs on a Mac).

#7 staygold512

staygold512

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:45 AM

Q: why are they hassling me for my personal financial information?

A: Apple is a company and has an interest in making a profit. But, they do have customer facing articles on their site that tell you step by step how you can use the App Store without a credit card. 

Why Apps from the App Store are more secure (not always better) is because they meet requirements for sandboxing. And what is sandboxing: 

a security mechanism used to separate various running programs to “execute untested code, or untrusted programs from unverified third-parties, suppliers, untrusted users and untrusted websites.” In other words, a sandbox contains tightly controlled settings that disallow software from harming the host device — in this case, a virus or piece of malignant code hidden within a Flash Player (easily one of the most popular multimedia tools on the planet) won’t afflict a Mac running OS X Mavericks.

I’ve also heard this can be limiting for developers. Those who have had to deal with malware from Flash Player or MacKeeper understand why this setting is there. 

#8 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 693 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:43 PM

I don't know of any other website for a vendor who won't do business with you without getting credit card info up front.

Anyway, my bank says if I give out my credit/debit info and someone uses it then its my problem.  I think Apple is incredibly insensitive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users