Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop freezing after suffering a fall.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Zombieface

Zombieface

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 28 August 2014 - 11:43 AM

My laptop computer took a tumble off my desk a couple days ago and it hasn't been working properly since. It was running a game at the time of the fall (Guild Wars 2), and since then every time I have tried to run the game again it has completely frozen up my computer with the only way to turn it off being to hold down the power button. Not having any real computer knowledge of our own, my husband and I Googled around and tried a bunch of different things we read online to fix it, including completely deleting everything Guild Wars off my computer and trying to redownload it, since the freezing up problem was only happening when I opened the Guild Wars. Well eventually my husband did SOMETHING or other that (seemingly) stopped the freezing problem with the Guild Wars. It was downloading fine and all the way up to 35% before I went to bed for the night.... but alas, I awoke to a blank frozen screen! I turned the computer off and back on and it tells me it's recommended I do a system restore, so I do it, get to my startup screen where I enter my password, type it in, aaaand Frozen. And now I can't even get in to my computer without it freezing! I've tried and tried again but every time I get to the menu to type in my password it freezes after, or even before I even hit enter. So, I've decided to just give it a rest, and reach out on any forum I can find for any information that may be able to help me! ...Also my husband opened it up and says everything appears to be connected properly on the inside. We're all out of ideas here, please help!

Edited by hamluis, 28 August 2014 - 12:24 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Inernal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2014 - 12:24 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 Zombieface

Zombieface
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2014 - 12:40 PM

Is this what you need?
Toshiba Satellite L675D-S7049

Edited by hamluis, 30 August 2014 - 07:35 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 28 August 2014 - 01:11 PM

You may have bricked the hdd when it hit the floor.

When the platter is spinning there is a read and write head which is around 50nm which is about 0.0039 inches.  So the likelihood of the read/write arm striking the platter is going to be high.  This will usually result in damage to the platter, the read/write arm, or both. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Zombieface

Zombieface
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2014 - 01:39 PM

Thanks for the reply! Is that problem repairable/worth having fixed? I'm worried now about losing my all my photos/ect from the last few years. Right now I can't even log in to my computer-- it freezes at the password screen. It wont even let me past the password screen in any of the Safe Modes. What am I suppose to do now? Is there another way to get in to it? I read something about it possibly being something that's trying to automatically start upon logging in that's freezing my computer, and I should disable all start-ups. But I can't disable all start-ups if I can't get in.. can I? I don't even know where to start. I'm probably doomed to have to take it to a shop to be looked at, aren't I?

Mod Edit:  Please do NOT use the Quote button to reply...simply use one of the two Reply buttons available, thanks - Hamluis.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2014 - 02:06 PM

Obviously you have another computer or at least access to another.  I would suggest removing the hdd from the laptop and install it in the computer if it is a desktop, if it isn't then you will need to purchase an external enclosure which will attach via a USB port.

Before doing this go to Computer and see what drive letters are assigned, writhe these down for future reference.  Install or attach the hdd, go to Computer and find the new drive letter, this will be you hdd.  Click on it and see if you can access your data.  If you can, you can right click on files or folder and choose Send to, you should send this data to either an external hdd or a flash drive.

Another option would be to pull the hdd out to see who the manufacturer is, then download the manufacturer's diagnostic tool and run it to determine the condition of the hdd.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Zombieface

Zombieface
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2014 - 02:18 PM

Thank you, I will definitely do that before attempting anything further. Your replies have been very helpful! Well wishes to you and your family!

Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2014 - 04:41 PM

Thank you, my wife is getting better each day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users