Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Connectivity on Vista and program running issues

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 rovalles83

rovalles83

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 28 August 2014 - 11:19 AM

Hello, I've been having a few issues with my HP Pavilion dv6000 that I received from a friend.The first issue is that certain programs that would normally run on this computer when I first did the system restore won't run anymore. I try to re-install it but even the setup program doesn't even load. The one time that one does load is for Google Drive and it sends me to an error message. I do have images of the error message including computer information should it be needed. The second issue is that we just received the new Xfinity router/modem unit which I believe is an Atheros model with WEP2 AES coding and even though this laptop connects to my neighbors Netgear without issue, it will not sync to the Atheros at all. What I do end up with is thirty minutes of network identification only for the IPv4 to only read local while the IPv6 reads limited. I have tried turning the internet router off and nothing happens however I have the ipconfig/all information on a separate screen cap. I hope that this is enough information and though I have all the information in two screen captures, I don't feel 100% comfortable sharing this information over the forums just like that.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rovalles83

rovalles83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2014 - 05:39 PM

So I've not had time to truly fidget with this machine with my niece sick but I figured one thing I forgot to do is see if the properties were blocked to which I was right, they were. Still I have had no luck with the internet connectivity. I left the wireless unit unplugged for ten minutes and still nothing.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:55 PM

Hello, and Welcome

Sometimes Vista cannot connect to certain routers. Try the Microsoft Fixit , reboot and see if you can connect.

#4 rovalles83

rovalles83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:37 PM

So I have attempted using the fix it program and after rebooting, I still have the system identifying for over 10 minutes and not connecting to the internet.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,623 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:31 PM

Type CMD in the search box. Right click > Run as Administrator Type the following

netsh winsock reset     <enter>

netsh int ipv4 reset      <enter>

netsh int ipv6 reset     <enter>

Reboot the computer. Is the problem solved?

If not, go to device manager. Right click your wireless network adapter, right click > properties.  In the details tab select Hardware ID's in the dropdown box. Copy and paste the first line your next post. Do you have a model number after the DV6000 on the bottom of the laptop. If you have not need for any data or programs on the computer, you can do a factory reset if the recovery partition is still intact.

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 September 2014 - 09:32 PM.

#6 rovalles83

rovalles83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 05:24 AM

PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_001C&SUBSYS_137A103C&REV_01

Sadly a factory reset was how I got in this mess in the first place so at this point and time I feel it would do more harm than good however the full model number is dv6768se

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,623 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 07:07 AM

I assume the commands for winsock and TCP/IP reset did not work, correct? Please download and install the following wireless driver.

When going to Device Manager are there any yellow exclamation marks shown?

#8 rovalles83

rovalles83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 10:48 PM

No exclamations and the only thing that the download did was slowed the computer down.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,623 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2014 - 07:28 AM

I am not sure how the wireless driver would slow the computer. You can uninstall the driver. The only other thing I can think of that might help is to change your DNS servers on the computer to OPenDNS and see if that helps.

Configure OpenDNS on Vista

This could very well be some kind of hardware issue. DV6000's have had a lot of issues and some even recalled depending on build date. What was the purpose of doing the factory reset? Was it because of the network issue? Can you connect to the internet via Ethernet?

To rule out a hardware issue, you can download a small linux distro called Puppy and try to connect via wireless.

#10 rovalles83

rovalles83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2014 - 05:11 AM

It was an error on my end but I've got the laptop sped up again. No luck with the opendns and at this point though I know I do not have the funds to get a new one, I'm 5 seconds away from throwing this blasted laptop into a wall. I've gone through cmd and and gotten the elevation required then redid everything in cmd through running as admin seeing if that changed anything which all it did was burn five minutes of my life after a successful reboot. Microsoft Fixit failed. The reboot is because the previous owner, my friend's father, only used it as their business computer and since they transferred all of their files, I just scrapped what they still had left since they run a home nursing practice.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,623 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2014 - 02:51 PM

Since the computer was from another person, it might be worth it to do a factory reset. Any programs installed after purchase would be gone and you would need to backup any personal data first. If the recovery partition is still intact, tap F11 at boot. The HP recovery manager should start up. Did you try a live linux distro on the computer? It does not have to be installed because it will run off the CD drive and in RAM.

If Vista was added after purchase it's possible the factory reset will set it back to XP.

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 September 2014 - 02:52 PM.

#12 rovalles83

rovalles83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2014 - 03:15 PM

Again, the factory reset is how I got to this point.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,623 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2014 - 03:55 PM

Sorry, I got too much going on in my head. Completely missed your post stating that. Are you interested in trying a linux distro?

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 September 2014 - 03:55 PM.

#14 rovalles83

rovalles83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 01:02 PM

Ok so I've gone and reformatted the laptop to factory default again. I'm going to attempt the fixit first because again the laptop sees the xfinity connection. It accessed it but its claiming the unidentified network but excellent signal.

#15 rovalles83

rovalles83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 01:03 PM

I want to avoid going linux because this will be used for gaming and I've only heard that linux systems don't do well

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users