Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

please, i am looking for drives for an old leo persica p4 pc model 3550

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 August 2014 - 11:16 AM

good afternoon to all

please, i am looking to find the drives for the leo pentium 4 persica 3550 pc - motherboard model leo av450s+

a friend of mine gave me this pc but it need a hd and all the necessary drives

i couldn't be able to locate through the net any relevant informations about that pc

on the motherboard there is no any indication about the exact model only the sticker on the case indicate that it is a leo persica 3550

i wish to have this pc for internet so i have to buy just a network pci card, i have a spare ide hd

i thanking you very much in advance

Edited by nickko, 28 August 2014 - 11:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:26 PM

Putting the computer into the wayback machine the specs show you have an IDE hard drive. You will probably have to buy a used IDE HDD  or purchase a PCI SATA controller that has it's own BIOS so you will be able to boot with a SATA drive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 August 2014 - 08:30 PM.

#3 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:00 AM

good afternoon dear JohnC_21

i thank you really very much for the given specifications

yes, i know that i have to buy an ide to sata pci card but my main concern is the drives that i cannot find them

#4 Amna Umen

Amna Umen

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:18 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't these drives work?

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:29 AM

Those drives will work. The BIOS on the old computer may prevent the detection of a large drive but I am not positive about that.

#6 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:08 AM

good morning to all from me

i thanking all very much for the infos given regarding the leo persica

unfortunately the above given link for the leo persica 3550 is only for specifications and does not have any drives for downloading

many thanks in advance

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:19 AM

Okay, I think I understand now. You are not looking for a Hard Drive but drivers for the computer devices, correct?

What is the OS you are using, XP?

Go to device manager. Right click My Computer > Properties.

Right click any device that has a yellow exclamation mark. Select Properties. Under the details tab, select Hardware ID's in the dropdown box. Copy and paste the first line of each device shown in your next post.

#8 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:37 PM

good evening from me dear JohnC_21

i thank you for your kind reply

i still have problem... the old pc does not have any hard disk....

i have an old ide hd but prior to any format and windows xp pro sp2 installation i need those drives

unfortunately, the web page with the specifications of the old pc is not accessible to tell you the exact model of the motherboard

the drives that are needed are for the chipset (via, intele, sis), soundcard, some drives might be neded for the usb ports, no ethernet (lan) drives are needed since there is no a net work installed

yes, i know how to check for the synstem device if it was a drive on that pc

thanks

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 01:35 PM

Unfortunately, I will not be able to get the correct drivers until a hard disk is installed and then XP installed after that. XP will install what generic drivers it can. The system should boot and in Device Manager will be all the devices that need to have drivers installed. The computer is just too old and I don't believe there is a single website where the drivers can be downloaded.

I am not sure it will work but you can download an Linux Mint 13 Maya LTS as that is the last for non-PAE hardware. For your old computer I would recommend Xfce. Then open a terminal and use the commands shown here.  They should also work for Mint Maya. This should give you an idea of what hardware you are running.

#10 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:29 AM

good morning dear JohnC_21

i really thank you very much for all your infos and given links

it is strange that leo computers does not have an archived link for those drives

leo is a well known brand 

i will try to install windows xp on that old pc

i will try to contact my friend if he still have the cdrom with the drives

thanks very much

have a nice sunday

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:13 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't these drives work?

Stay as far away from the "WL" branded drives on the list as possible. These are sold as new drives on eBay, but are actually refurbished big name drives & their labeling removed. 

I bought one of the IDE models for someone else, because it was all that she could afford, the used one she had with over 1000 hours of use was faster by a good margin, so we left the old one in for the OS & the WL as a slave for backup/data. These are the ones I'm referring to, if the price is too good, stay away. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5AD1R99103

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5AD1R99062

In fact, this is the very same eBay seller, Newegg is just a reseller on these, they've been doing that more as of late. 

http://www.newegg.com/goHardDrive

eBay listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Digital-WD2500BB-250GB-7200RPM-3-5-IDE-PATA-ATA-100-Desktop-Hard-Drive-/151020392734?pt=US_Internal_Hard_Disk_Drives&hash=item232984511e

And finally, a review from a company who serves IT Professionals, and why they don't sell these. They're not remanufactured by the brand in a sterile environment, therefore the branding is removed & a generic label is attached. Who knows where these drives are refurbished?

http://discountechnology.com/s.nl/ctype.KB/it.I/id.7338/KB.68/.f

You've been warned. Don't do it. 

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 31 August 2014 - 02:18 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:21 AM

Thanks cat for this info. Much appreciated.

#13 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:56 AM

good afternoon to all and a big sorry for the very big delay in replying

thanks for all the infos and for the warnings about the refurbished hard disks !

i haven't done anything yet with the pc since i was busy 

another friend of mine want that pc for euros 40 so it is a good idea to give it and have my mind free with all those troubles about hard disks and drives

a big thank again for your kind replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users