Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting Data off of a hard drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SolidPaint

SolidPaint

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:53 AM

I have an Acer Aspire laptop that is beyond repair, however I have some files saved on the hard drive that I need to get off of the computer. I purchased a SATA cable and removed the hard drive. When I plug the hard drive into my desk top (HP with Windows 8), I get a System Reserved Local Disk (F:) and a Local Disk (G:). When the computer detects the hard drive, it states that there was a problem with drive (F;), to scan and repair. I've tried scanning and repairing, but it just sits there. I've tried going into Local Disk (G:) to see if any data was stored there and when I click on the drive, it locks my computer up and causes it not to respond. Since the graphics card in the laptop is gone, I could not plug up the laptop with a VGA cable. How do I get my files off of the hard drive? The laptop was Windows 7. Could that be the problem? I'm mainly just wanting photos and music.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 28 August 2014 - 04:03 PM

Normally when you plug a hard drive into a computer and it freezes up or doesn't respond for a bit, that means the drive is dead. What was wrong with the laptop that  it couldn't be repaired?

He said the same thing he had been saying for hours... "burn them all".

-Jaime Lannister

Feel free to add me on Skype for help or to chat; lolballinn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users