Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FAX to PC - or - Convert paper documents to .pdf files

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 JoanneMT

JoanneMT

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:52 AM

I need to convert some paper documents into files. I do have a fax machine, and found that I have a faxmodem card in my PC. I found instructions online for an HP Fax, it seems well written; here is the link: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03448663&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en#N781

I do use the FAX to send outoging messages, but I really need to convert some documents.  Nitro Reader PDF has been a great free tool to work with .pdf files. However I see no information aout scanning paper documents.

I found quite a few scams out there that offer you a fax number but I'm not about to send my private information to some unknown telephone number. Oh brother... Thank you for any info you can continue to share with me.

Cat suggested I open this new topic, I will leave a message on the "Split from news" topic where I am still stuck at SP2 but not taking a chance with my last machine; I have some very important paperwork to complete.
  •  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:24 AM

fax machine separate from the fax modem?

you have two phone numbers/ lines in the house?

fax modem come with software for receiving and reading faxes?

faxes can be converted to Word or PDF via the fax software?

Unless all the conditions asked about above exist trying to fax yourself is a moot point.

Otherwise its simpler to take your paper copies to Staples along with a usb stick and have them scan to pdf for you.

#3 JoanneMT

JoanneMT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2014 - 05:28 PM

Thank you Wand3r3r - you've given me a solution I can use now - and when I clear this room to go through the boxes of stuff i've added to my PCs.

I appreciate your prompt reply.  Most helpful. Thank you :-)

Joanne

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2014 - 05:54 PM

Happy to help

#5 JoanneMT

JoanneMT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:35 AM

Wand3r3r,  I've found the documentation for my V.92 fax card and yes I have a separate fax machine.  

When you speak of two phone numbers, do both of them have to be wirelines?  I have one wireline and one wireless.

Thank you

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:41 PM

You would need to wired lines each with its own phone number.  I never have heard or read of faxing through a cell phone.  If you have a friend with a fax machine you could fax to your pc's modem and get the documents that way using only one phone line.

Something you need to understand is faxing to a fax machine/program has limitations.  Lets say you run a page through your fax machine and it faxes to your computer.  The fax comes in as a picture which is uneditable.  You would need OCR software to convert that picture to text which you could then edit.  If editing is not a concern then saving the pictures and burning them to DVD for long term storage is the way to go.

#7 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:30 AM

It helps to read the entire thread to understand what the goals are.  No scanner mentioned but the idea of taking a picture with a smartphone is a good one.  JoannMT would need the smartphone to send the pics via email to her PC.

#8 JoanneMT

JoanneMT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 03:40 PM

Hi Wand3r3r,

Thank you for your interest.  I have so many things going on, and I need this for a big project, I do not get out much, but need to get my project in play.

I have a fax machine, one wired phone line, a fax-modem card  in my pc and my wireless phone.  Sometimes taking pictures with the phone works, but it depends on the quality of the original and not all are good.  My fax machine has the glass in addition to the feeder.  I have not found instructions on how to use Nitro PDF, the freebie to work with .pdf files.  I'd really like to be able to make a nice file to present description and references with tabs... it is complex. 

I do not know what OCR stands for.  I did see in the instructions that my PC would need to be able to convert the fax image to a .pdf file.  I am not sure yet if my modem has that capability. 

I get exhausted fast, please forgive me for not responding right away.  This whole thing is in a hurry, but my body will not cooperate.

Thank you for your interest and your help.  BTW, this came from an aside I put in another post, not realizing that it might actually be possible to convert  paper to file. 

Bless the Bleepers :-)

#9 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:32 AM

OCR stands for optical character recognition which means software is able to read the words on the picture and convert them to text so they are editable.

You can't fax to the pc with one phone line using your fax machine.  It appears your best option is to go to Staples or similar business to scan the paper files to PDF.  Or buy a all-in-one printer/copier/scanner unit.  They are under $100 these days.

#10 JoanneMT

JoanneMT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:04 PM

Wanderer, thank you for bringing me up to speed on new technology.  I didn't realize we have scanners now. I saw an Epson in wal mart for under $70. I was looking for something with software, but no luck so far.  

I've used Nitro Reader with some success. It does support the .jpeg files from my camera so that has been great.  I will review the networking topic. I really appreciate your help and ideas.  You are most kind.

Thank you.  I think I have enough information to push through.  There is also a FoxIt free reader available free online, and I will peruse the network forum. 

Best regards,

Joanne

#11 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 03:24 PM

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Canon-CanoScan-LiDE110-Color-Image-Scanner/15174835  all of them come with software.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#12 JoanneMT

JoanneMT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:52 PM

Hello CaveDweller2 - thank you so much for doing the shopping for me!!  This thing will be perfect.  I will keep my big old brother for its document feeder and faxing out, plus the fact that it has lived so long.  It was so kind of you to assist.

thank you!

Joanne

PS: I discovered that using Microsoft works' format is not recognizable by Nitro Reader or FoxIt Reader so I (duh) saved as a Word document and voila we had a .PDF file!  I will still go after the scanner as my old pictures are starting to get frayed and lost... My picture of a picture does not satisfy the younger generation.

Best wishes to all you wonderful Bleeping Bleepers  :guitar:

Edited by JoanneMT, 08 September 2014 - 06:59 PM.

#13 JoanneMT

JoanneMT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:35 PM

Gee every time I think we can close this I have another question if it is not requiring research and time...  Some of the scanners say they can scan photos, and some (the cheaper ones) say color documents.

I'd like to be able to scan my pictures, and don't really need to make posters out of them, but I wonder how much difference it makes?  For an extra $40, I can get one that states it copies pictures.  What I wonder is which specs am I looking for as far as proper scanning of pictures.

Is the 

• Optical Resolution: 4800 dpi  overkill for copying pictures?  I'd like clear pictures that leave nothing to the imagination since it is for a dentist, but the cheaper scaner has 
  • Optical: 2400 x 4800 dpi
  • Interpolated: 19,200 x 19,200 dpi

The specs are presented as above, but basically do they both say 4800 dpi that is similar to the way we used to measure digital cameras when they first came out?  Is dpi what I am comparing for quality or is it some other spec?  My first need is for converting to .pdf files, but I'd like to be able to scan pictures while I'm spending the money.

Thank you :-)

#14 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 02:45 PM

dpi is dots per inch which is not the same as pixels [MP - megapixels] which is the measurement for photo resolution.

Usually in a medical office you don't print pictures [or medical records for that matter] anymore.  They are digitally archived as is the patients records.  Better security [HIPAA] and privacy [HIPAA] protection.

That aside, given its only $40, I would go with the one that can do it all.

PS I work at a facility that has a hospital

Edited by Wand3r3r, 10 September 2014 - 02:46 PM.

#15 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:25 AM

The higher dpi the better the picture will be. Picture quality is around 1200dpi. If it's a inkjet you want to use glossy paper and then protect them with a picture sleeve. Always keep the orignal scans or pictures of course inkjet pics don't last forever. Don't use glossy paper for laser toner printers as the toner will fall off the paper. Also, Wand3r3r has brought up a good point. In a business enviroment you wouldn't want to violate any HIPAA privacy acts. Customer, Patient info has to be taken serious and archived in a encrypted database. Everything nowdays is going more digital and that's a good thing. You don't want your medical records blowing down the street somewhere. Any paper documents are either scanned, shredded after digital archiving, or kept in a vault or all the above.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users