Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does playing games on laptop affect it's hardware very much?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 titan1

titan1

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:45 AM

My uncle was telling me that playing games on laptop leads it to inoperable condition.Is that true?I play games in low to medium graphics setting.I play only once in a week for maximum 3-4 hours at a stretch.Will it harm my laptop?
My specs are 500GB sata HDD
core i3 2nd gen processor.
2GB R.A.M
1GB Graphics card(intel)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:49 AM

Titan1,

Wow!  What a loaded question!

Laptops or Notebook computers are designed and built differently from desktops, for obvious reasons.

Notebook computers tend to be subject to a lot of abuse that a desktop is not designed to take.  I have a client in the construction industry who dropped his ToughBook off of a second storey building frame, and it bounced!  It still works!  (DON'T try it, just see if your's will do the same thing!)

Your biggest issue is the cooling system.  Desktops in general, are more open inside the case, and have larger fans capable of greater air movement.  Desktops also have the option of installing secondary and or more advanced cooling features.  

Notebooks, however, rarely have that option.  The CPU's and GPU's used in notebooks have to go with what they have from the factory. Some notebooks will have dual cooling fans installed.  Many share the heatsink and cooling system between the CPU, GPU and or the controller chip.  Because of this, notebook chips have to be capable of withstanding higher temperatures than desktop chips.

For example, the i3-330UM Mobile CPU, which is a low end economy chip used in a lot of cheaper, consumer level notebooks and netbooks vs the i3-550 Desktop CPU, also a low end economy CPU.

From CPU World:

Intel Core i3-330UM Minimum/Maximum operating temperature 0°C - 105°C
18 Watt 64 bit 2 core  4 thread 1200 MHz

Intel Core i3-530 Minimum/Maximum operating temperature 5°C - 72.6°C
73 Watt 64 bit 2 core  4 thread 2933 MHz

As you can see, the notebook CPU can take more heat, but at the sacrifice of speed and power.

So, in answer to you question, if the notebook is capable of running the program at an acceptable speed, then no, it will not damage the machine by playing games on it, any more than if you ran other similar ram and video intensive software on it.

However, the notebook is not designed for continuous use, like the desktop.  If you are using a notebook for continuous operation, then you will put a strain on the system, as it was not designed for that.  

I would suggest that you limit the "Play Time" to allow the unit to cool off a bit.  Remember, heat and humidity are the number one enemies of your notebook!

Cheers!

Naught.

Edited by Naught McNoone, 28 August 2014 - 09:50 AM.

#3 titan1

titan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:42 AM

Thank you very much Naught McNoone for your kind answer.I will surely limit my play time.Thank you again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users