Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer laptop issue "plugged in not charging" blinking orange light

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sparky192084

sparky192084

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:20 AM

hello there , I'm having issue with my Acer Aspire E1-571 while plugged into the mains with ac adapter works fine.

but the battery light is blinking orange and getting  the "plugged in not charging" on the taskbar icon.

I'm trying to work out if its going to be a simple battery replacement or a motherboard issue. which I have heard can be a problem with Acer models.

I have tried taking the battery out , reset power button 15 seconds etc. as well as uninstalling battery drivers in device manager then rebooting

I created a Power Efficiency Diagnostics Report in command prompt copied and attached to postAttached File  energy-report.html   33.83KB   1 downloads. any help would be appreciated. thanks

Battery:Battery Information

Battery ID 0COMPAL Li_Ion_4000mA Manufacturer COMPAL Serial Number 0 Chemistry Lion Long Term 1 Sealed 0 Design Capacity 0 Last Full Charge 0

Edited by sparky192084, 28 August 2014 - 08:08 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 28 August 2014 - 03:15 PM

Hi,

If you can get another battery, without having to buy it, to test with, it should tell you if it is the battery or the charging circuit on the motherboard is the problem.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 774 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2014 - 04:13 PM

How old is this battery?. Most laptop batteries are good for about two years and possibly three if your lucky and have been careful with it. If it's more than a couple years old...get a new battery

#4 sparky192084

sparky192084
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:12 PM

hi this a follow up post thanks for the people who responded, for my issue with my Acer Aspire E1-571 latop

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/546030/acer-laptop-issue-plugged-in-not-charging-blinking-orange-light/

Originally my battery icon in the task bar was showing plugged in not charging. so decided to get a new battery. it now says plugged in and charging and the orange light is not flickering, but it does not charge. the icon looks like the laptop is charging for a minute then stops. i have tried all the methods of taking battery outpower button 15-20 seconds uninstalling battery drives in device manger. updating drivers etc was wondering if reinstalling windows was worth a shot?

Edited by sparky192084, 01 September 2014 - 04:39 PM.

#5 sparky192084

sparky192084
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:13 PM

Hi,

If you can get another battery, without having to buy it, to test with, it should tell you if it is the battery or the charging circuit on the motherboard is the problem.

Keep us posted

hi got a new battery and made a new post thanks

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/546562/acer-laptop-follow-up-battery-plugged-in-charging-but-not-charging-now/

Mod Edit:  Merged above linked topic with this one - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 02 September 2014 - 01:12 PM.

#6 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:12 PM

I'm going to assume That you are using an Acer battery, or one they recommend.

What you describe sounds like the charging circuit on the motherboard is bad. I'm not sure that it is something that cam be repaired cheaper than you can replace the motherboard.

Keep us posted

Dick E

#7 sparky192084

sparky192084
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:29 AM

I'm going to assume That you are using an Acer battery, or one they recommend.

What you describe sounds like the charging circuit on the motherboard is bad. I'm not sure that it is something that cam be repaired cheaper than you can replace the motherboard.

Keep us posted

not sure if they even match up to be honest. I just got a cheap replacment. charger output is 19v =3.42 a. says the same when the battery cover is removed in in the laptop. but both of the batteries are different

one is 10.8v 4400mAh ther other is 11.1v 4400mAh looking up the genuine acer batteries they are meant to be 10.8v .

but the 11.1v one is is saying plugged in and charging while the 10.8v one is saying plugged in not charging. Oyvey! so could it be a case of one battery is dead the original acer and the cheap replacement is not right by 0.3v. and wont charge.

Edited by sparky192084, 02 September 2014 - 05:59 AM.

#8 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:44 AM

Hard to argue with a person when they are right

Keep us posted

Dick E

#9 sparky192084

sparky192084
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:57 AM

cheers , new genuine acer battery is on the way.

#10 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:15 AM

Please report back when you get it installed

Thanks

Dick E