Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FTP between 2 computers: transfer when one is idling

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ryanlaxman

ryanlaxman

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 28 August 2014 - 12:56 AM

I want to know if there is any way FTP can accommodate my needs:
I want to send a file from my laptop to my sleeping desktop via FTP over public internet. When my desktop is woken up later that day, I want it to download/replace that file.

If you have any suggestions on my idea below please tell me also.
I am going to create a one click 'send download' button on right click in chrome.
Right now I am going to run a batch file 30 seconds after login on the destination computer. It will check and see if a file says 0 or 1. If 1 it will open Chrome and set file back to 0. On the host computer, the right click will use SendTab to send a download link to my destination computer via chrome; it will also send a file that says 1 via FTP to the destination computer.
So when I click the right click menu option on a link, it will copy, new tab, paste, enter, send via SendTab, FTP file that says 1 to destination.
The next time I open the destination computer, it will download the file that says 1, open chrome, set file to 0, then chrome will open the download link tab and download the download I need.

Is there an easier way to tell another computer to download a file, while not on the same local network??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 28 August 2014 - 02:43 AM

This is really a question of whether you want to spend money or not and how big the file is. The data has to be stored somewhere whilst on the internet, which costs money... Which means you have to pay one way or another, or suffer low speeds and/or ads.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users