Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

lost audio in xubuntu 14.04.1

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mouse97

mouse97

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:23 PM

i've converted dell dimension 4600 xp over to xubuntu 14.04. after installing i had no audio. i got it turned on but i don't know how. every time there is a os/kernel update (password required) i lose the audio but manage to get back on.  2 weeks ago there were 2 updates(os?kernel password required) within three days of each other. since then i've lost audio and can not get it back on. i really started using this machine quite a bit and i'm starting to like linux but this no audio thing is starting to get annoying. any ideas? thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:45 PM

Try installing pulseaudio its in the repo.

sudo apt-get install pulseaudio

If you already have pulseaudio.

You can try this:

sudo start-pulseaudio-x11 start

Then type your password and Reboot.

:welcome:  To BC.

Edited by NickAu1, 27 August 2014 - 10:00 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#3 mouse97

mouse97
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2014 - 04:18 AM

nick,    pulseaudio already installed. tried second suggestion, comes back command not found. rebooted anyway, still no audio.  thanks for your help.

#4 mouse97

mouse97
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 05:53 AM

another 73mb os/kernel update (password required) today-----still no audio      am i the only one experiencing this?  thanks for any help

#5 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,721 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 29 August 2014 - 03:28 PM

One thing that might be worth trying is opening a media player in the terminal, to see if it displays any error messages. So for example if you are using vlc media player, open a terminal and type ''vlc'' (without the quotes) or the name of whatever media player you use. Hit enter on your keyboard, and your media player should open. Then use the menu of the media player itself to browse to a file to play, open the file in the media player, and see if any error messages are displayed in the terminal.

Edited by Al1000, 29 August 2014 - 03:30 PM.

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,253 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 04:05 PM

another 73mb os/kernel update (password required) today

Yes this is normal. Sometimes there can be 3 or 4 updates a week, It depends. The password thing before any update is also normal.

Try this.

How To Fix: No Sound In Ubuntu 14.04 And Linux Mint 17

or this.

SoundTroubleshootingProcedure - Official Ubuntu ...

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

#7 mouse97

mouse97
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 05:24 PM

i tried all suggestions in first link, still no audio. now my sound/sound settings icon has disappeared. still trying. thanks for any help

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,865 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:11 AM

I thought this one sounded good, give it a go!

http://askubuntu.com/questions/518950/sound-mysteriously-gone-missing-lubuntu-14-04-32bit

Nick, it this not a Browser issue and just needs a plugin?

mouse97, what type of audio are you trying to listen too, and which browser are you using? 

Edited by pcpunk, 03 September 2014 - 11:26 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#9 mouse97

mouse97
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:34 PM

pcpunk,    thanks for your response. tried the link and tips but still no audio.  you tube and streaming videos-video great-no audio. firefox 31/32. i feel like an uninstall/reinstall of xubuntu audio drivers is needed but i have no clue how to do this. this should not be so difficult but i guess this is the linux way.  thanks for your help.

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,253 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:39 PM

i feel like an uninstall/reinstall of xubuntu audio drivers is needed but i have no clue how to do this.

You could try this.

Use at own risk. Before doing this please backup your home folder.

(1) Remove the Pulse Audio packages

sudo apt-get autoremove pulseaudio

(2) Try ALSA

sudo apt-get install linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils

(3) Reboot.

You did look to see that sound isn,t muted?  Do you still have the Xbuntu disk that you used to install Linux with? If yes, Can you boot your pc from the Live Disk and try sound that way.

Edited by NickAu1, 03 September 2014 - 05:15 PM.

Arch Linux .

#11 mouse97

mouse97
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 09:35 AM

nick,  you are the man.   before i saw your last thread, i tried the second link in your earlier thread about ubuntu sound troubleshooting. i lost my wallpaper,all settings, etc. i didn't care because i was ready to dump xubuntu. still no audio.  after reading your last thread, i booted up my live xubuntu disc i had burned -still no audio.  next, i ran your lastest instructions, audio works like a charm. thank you.  now my main concern, will audio survive next os/kernel update. fingers crossed.  i've restored xubuntu back to the way i had it and i'm loving it again.  thanks again for the effort and help you gave me.

#12 mouse97

mouse97
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 03:50 PM

nick, your not going to believe this. i changed the time in panel from military to regular and now i have no audio. went thru the steps again from latest post -no audio. what the hell is going on?   

#13 mouse97

mouse97
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 05:56 PM

nick,    turned machine off for over an hour. i have audio again.  beats me???????      thanks

#14 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,253 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 07:44 PM

Me too my friend.

I do not know why it is doing that, For more expert advice you could try the ubuntu forum. http://ubuntuforums.org/

Other than that Reinstall the os.

What are your PC specs. There are much better Distros than Xubuntu ( Ubuntu with xfce) I have always said it, and stand by this, Ubuntu is not novice friendly.

I What Pc you are running What processor how much ram. Start with this pc, lets get it set up with the right distro. Then we can do the others.

Just for fun try this.

Have you heard of Puppy Linux? Great fun to play with And so fast even from Live Disk  You do not need to install puppy. Just download it burn to cd and live boot.

*NEW* Slacko Puppy (Slackware-Compatible Build)

March 9, 2014 - The developers group led by 01micko has released the latest build of Slacko Puppy, version 5.7.

Open ibiblio.org folder of Slacko 5.7 and choose your preferred ISO*.

Open nluug.nl folder of Slacko 5.7 and choose your preferred ISO*.

Other download sites are at aarnet, internode, UOC, and VCU.

ISO Size: 161 MB

* Note: The PAE build is for enabling full access to installed RAM in PAE-enabled, high-memory machines. Non-PAE is for older PCs with at least 256 MB RAM (512 MB is recommended).

Edited by NickAu1, 04 September 2014 - 10:48 PM.

Arch Linux .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users