Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 update KB 2993651 - Install Info - Toshiba L655 Laptop

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:11 PM

This is an fyi for Toshiba Laptop users that may encounter problems in uninstalling the recent Windows update KB2982791 that was deployed on the last "patch" Tuesday 08/12/14 .

According to earlier MS published statements, update KB2982791 can be problematic.  There's a thread here with detailed information on that issue.

Today, MS began distributing a replacement update KB2993651 . 

One of my Win 7x64 PC's, my Desktop PC (component-built, Asus MoBo)  downloaded the update.  I went ahead and followed MS's advice* to uninstall the previous KB2982791 update, even though there had been no problems seen with that update, before installing the new update KB2993651 .

All appears to have gone well with my Desktop PC.  I uninstalled KB2982791 and installed the new replacement KB2993651 .

I tried the same steps on my Toshiba Laptop L655 (Win 7x64) and ran into the "Preparing to Configure Windows.  Do not turn off the computer"  hanging screen.  I allowed it to sit for about 30 minutes but the HDD activity LED was hung.

I forced the shutdown (power switch pressed and held down).  Upon reboot, the expected "Safe Mode/Repair" choice screen appeared.  I started Safe Mode and Windows did all the work for me, messaging "Update failed, reverting update".... not verbatim wording but that's the basic message that was displayed on the Safe Mode blue Windows startup screen.

My Laptop then started Windows as normal.  All appears ok, browser, e-mail client, etc, all work ok.

The Laptop had been running ok since the last Tuesday patch updates on 08/14 but I figured I'd try the MS recommendation. 

Moral of the story?  Perhaps, "If it's not broke, don't fix it" :).   More likely though, "PC's are unique creatures" :) since it worked ok on my Desktop PC.

OT here but it shows (to me) how nice it is to have a HDD backup plan in place.  It wasn't needed this time but I had them on the runway, cloned HDD, and a full-HDD Image that I ran earlier this week on the Laptop.

MS published recommendation about the 2 updates:

* "Microsoft strongly recommends that customers who have not uninstalled the 2982791 update do so prior to applying the 2993651 update. Customers do not need to uninstall the expired 2982791 update before applying the 2993651 update; however, Microsoft strongly recommends it."

Edited by Scoop8, 27 August 2014 - 09:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users