Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting up Raid 1 - Need help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 thespr

thespr

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:06 PM

I just deleted everything on my HDD, and I booted Windows from my SSD.

When I go to the disk manager it let me delete the volume for the HDD, but I cannot delete the volume from my SSD (I'm assuming because I'm booted onto it). 

I need to know how to setup this current SSD I'm using and the empty HDD I have in RAID so I can access their files simultaneously. I don't have a third drive to boot Windows from in order to create the RAID so if that's what I need I'm kind of screwed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thespr

thespr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:13 PM

Here is a screenshot for further information: http://prntscr.com/4h6evc

#3 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,502 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 28 August 2014 - 02:29 AM

You can't do that. with RAID 1 there is already a performanc hit. You would't want to mix HD sizes/types anyways it would cause even more problems.  You should read up on RAID to get a better understanding. RAID 1 is mirroring with no stripping so the SSD would be running faster than the Platter drive. SSD is far more superior when it comes to read/write speed anyways. Furthermore, an important thing to remember is that with RAID 1 the drive space is cut in half. IE: if you setup a RAID 1 with 2x500GB drives you still would only have 500GB. It's best to have the OS on a single SSD and then make a seperate RAID for backup image/clones of C: and other data. If the Raid was made of SSD's the performance would be through the roof and the Read/Write would also be really good between C: & D:

Generally you want to start from scratch building an array and use the motherboards bios controller to set it up. There is a way to do it software wise within disk management in Windows 7. As an  example leaving drive C the way it is and buy two more SSD, then in disk management you can mirror those two together. They would show up as one drive, but you would have backup redudancy with the two SSD because they are RAID and your clone image of C would reside on that RAID. Anything that gets sent to D: drive would be mirrored. You could go cheaper and use platter drives and do a RAID 0+1 stripping and mirroring. This would give some better read/write performance and do mirroring. RAID is nice, but it's more expensive. Many people just have JBOD (just a bunch of disks) and don't even do RAID and just use backup software like True Imaged. It all depends on your specific needs. Do you need performance, redundacy or both? You can get as elaberate with RAID as you want. It's up to you to decide if you want your OS mirrored. However, there is always a chance of it not mirroring right during the crash. You download a virus the virus goes on the mirror. Things like that. This is why a snapshot clone of the drive there is a guarantee there. Hope that helps you out.

Edited by technonymous, 28 August 2014 - 02:32 AM.

#4 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 28 August 2014 - 06:08 AM

Hi thespr and Welcome,

I'm a little confused as to what you are trying to achieve,as technonymous has said, Raid doesn't really work in your case.

so I can access their files simultaneously.

At the moment you have no files on your HDD 

with the normal dual drive array you can still access both drives files to be displayed simultaneously

or do you just need a clone of your SSD.

just need a bit more info 

Thanks  

Hedge 

#5 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 28 August 2014 - 06:11 AM

just for further reading

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_RAID_levels