Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Prepaid credit cards

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore

• Members
  • 288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:30 PM

Does anyone have any experience with prepaid credit cards?

I am considering getting one to use for online purchases where they don't accept PayPal.

Are there any risks or pitfalls?

Is it possible to use them anonymously?

Running Win 10 & Office 365.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kaz20

kaz20

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:33 PM

well the good thing about it is that they can only take the money that you put on the card. and cant use it anonymously since it still a credit card.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:29 PM

I use pre-paid cards when I purchase online.

There are actually 2 types of pre-paid cards.

1) Reloadable
2) Cards with a set amount on them.

Obviously you can re-use a reloadable card simply by putting money on it.

Set amount cards are just that-spend all the money on it and cannot be used again.

Reloadable cards carry the same risk as credit/debit cards in if the card is lost or stolen it can be used by someone else until the funds run out if there is a substantial amount on it. Unlike a credit card, more money would have to be applied to it in order to keep using it.

I use the pre-set amount cards.
I get mine from my credit union.

I pay $1 for the Visa card at the credit union.

I can put whatever amount on the card I choose.

If I want to order something that costs $23.72 (item plus shipping) I will bump it up to $25.

What's left is used at the gas pump so I can zero out the card.

Since the card is not re-loadable I cut it up and toss the pieces in the trash.

If the card number falls into the wrong hands the person using it will find out real quick it cannot be used. They don't know it's a prepaid card that cannot be used when there is no money left on it.

These types of cards can be purchased at stores such as Walgreens, Rite Aid, CVS, Wal-Mart, etc. (in the US, if you live outside the US check around for them.

There is a charge for the card, for example $5.99. You would also have to pay for the amount listed on the card, example $25.00. Total would be $30.99 plus tax. When used up, cut it up and toss it in the trash.

In order to use the card, it would have to be registered. This can usually be done online or over the phone. To be used as credit card you will back during the check out page to enter the card number and the address of the card holder, which you would have registered. What you enter checking out has to match the card company records.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 27 August 2014 - 04:31 PM.

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,828 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:01 PM

I got an American Express card and made sure the agent knew it would be used for online only and they added the fraud protection for free.

#5 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 288 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:32 AM

In order to use the card, it would have to be registered. This can usually be done online or over the phone. To be used as credit card you will back during the check out page to enter the card number and the address of the card holder, which you would have registered. What you enter checking out has to match the card company records.

That sounds like it would not be possible to use them anonymously.

From time to time I purchase shareware. If they accept Paypal, I use that. If not, I'm always torn about giving out my credit card. But I've also wished I could purchase completely anonymously -- no name or address.

I found several websites that discuss this, but was hoping to hear from someone who has actually tried it.

http://www.itstactical.com/digicom/privacy/how-to-use-prepaid-debit-cards-for-anonymous-cash-like-digital-transactions/

http://www.cardhub.com/edu/personal-information-to-get-a-prepaid-credit-card/

http://freedomhacker.net/how-to-make-anonymous-purchases-online/

http://www.greycoder.com/vanilla-visa-an-inexpensive-anonymous-credit-card/

Running Win 10 & Office 365.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users