Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Anti-spyware Purchase

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ramsey76

ramsey76

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 05 June 2006 - 12:04 PM

I run my spyware programs everyday. I use webroot and trend systems everyday. I also use products from Zone Alarm , Yahoo, CA every couple of days.

I usually have a couple of tracking cookies

Yesterday I purchased a new product that was in the clearance section of a large discount warehouse.

The product is called Spyware Killer Pro by Cosmi.

I ran it last night and it found over 200 problems adware, tracking cookies and dialers.

How can this product find 200 items while the name products above miised these things.

What am I missing ?

I did not delete the stuff fond by spyware killer. Is this product OK ?

Thanks

Tom

(Moderator edit: revised topic title and added topic description. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 05 June 2006 - 01:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,320 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2006 - 12:15 PM

false positives work as goad to purchase; earlier versions were same app as #1 Spyware Killer, Max Privacy Protector, SpyDoctor, SpyFirewall, Spyinator, SpyKiller 2005, SpyLax, SpySpotter; & SpywareThis; Ad-aware knockoff [A: 12-14-04 / U: 8-14-05]

That is what Spyware warrior says
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 ramsey76

ramsey76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2006 - 12:36 PM

Thanks

Does that mean the "problem" is not really there or the "problem" is not really a "problem".

Tom

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,320 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2006 - 12:40 PM

Yep to both questions. Hope you can get your money back. Also, you might want to run some scans to make sure that CD didn't load some malware on you.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 05 June 2006 - 12:50 PM

The rest of the note on the Spyware Warrior Rogue List reads:

...In recent months Cosmi and Anonymizer.com have added information to their web pages about the application and made a trial version available (from Anonymizer.com). Moreover, the application now appears to use a more recent definitions database. Thus, we can no longer classify SpyWare Killer as "rogue/suspect anti-spyware."

I have never used this program so I cannot address its scanning capabilities. However, we need to be fair to the vendors as to the information available.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:28 PM

With paid versions of SpySweeper and Trend Micro AS (Two top ten products, SpySweeper being a top 3), you don't need to search for anymore paid products! Simply add Ad-Aware SE, Spybot S&D, Spyware Blaster, and Spyware Guard (all four are excellent and free!) to your computer and your an active fortress! :thumbsup:
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users