Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

new router

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 wachumba

wachumba

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:57 PM

router just stopped working last night. i think it's 5 years old Belkin n idk what

at home I have 3 laptops 1 desktop that connect remotely and 1 laptop that hardwires.

I play league of legends a 10player moba game so I don't mind spending $ on a good router.

pc I game from is behind a wall about 30 feet away. is it worth it to get a dual band router and game on 5ghz band and set the other pcs up on 2.4? I've been reading 5ghz has trouble going through walls

suggestions on what router to buy?

Moderator Edit: Moved from Buying a new computer forum to a more appropriate forum.

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 27 August 2014 - 02:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:59 PM

Those are relatively low specs that you need but nevertheless an answer shall be provided.

I have a Dual Band router (Netgear WNDR4300) the 5 GHz signal gives my Smart TV full HD streaming at 25/30ft away through a couple walls and my laptop full gaming support with chat anywhere in my house (up to about 35 ft away through walls), the 2.4 GHz gives my xbox streaming and gaming at 30ft away through a few walls.

For what you have 2.4 alone would be more than enough, the router is not going to be the limiting factor in how good of a connection you have, it will more likely be your internet connection. That being said, dual bands are not that much more expensive than other routers these days, also I can almost guarantee that not all of your devices support 5 GHz.

Netgear and Linksys (Cisco) are the big names in routers, with ASUS right behind with their new AC series routers which are amazing, but that is new technology and uncommon at this point. I have had 0 issues with my router, which as I said is the Netgear N750 WNDR4300, I would suggest that one which is still about $100 or to save a couple bucks you could go for the N600 for around $75.

#3 wachumba

wachumba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:05 PM

Ty for response. sometimes games will freeze when somebody will start streaming video/music which is why I asked about dual bands.

you're saying router should be able to handle that without interruption and it's probably an issue with provider?

I was looking at this Belkin router but i don't mind spending more $ if if necessary
N450 DB Wi-Fi Dual-Band N+ Router
F9K1105
$69.99 NOW $49.99
BUY NOW
Add to wish list

#4 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:56 PM

802.11ac wireless routers are the latest and greatest you can buy today

This Asus RT-AC68U router comes in at a very good review

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2082233/asus-rt-ac68u-review-the-best-router-on-the-market-priced-accordingly.html

#5 wachumba

wachumba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:09 PM

^ i think that's more than I need. router I had was 5 years old paid about 40$ for it and it was almost good enough for what I needed.

I could probably get by with the Belkin router I posted.

really want to hear opinions on experience with dual band

#6 wachumba

wachumba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:23 PM

on another forum ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router
Asus (3,045)

this one was suggested for 129.99 any thoughts?

#7 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:28 PM

I've heard that the Asus RT-N66U is a very good router too.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:55 PM

There are actual experiences and reviews on different router models, others would use the open source firmware (flashing) such as DD-WRT. List of recommended routers you can check also from here. Heard also of Buffalo Routers are good and offers variety of models with dual band capable for a lesser price such as this and are DD-WRT capable.

Tekken

#9 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:57 PM

If $ is not a problem, I'd like to recommend my network setup.

I have an ASUS N65U-RT dual band gigabit router and paying for a 25MBps internet subscription. Bar strength has nothing to do with speeds. It's true that 5Ghz has trouble with walls but speeds are still faster than 2.4Ghz.

Here's the proof:

2.4Ghz with 4 bar signal strength (signal bars on charms bar --- "juliawifi" SSID):

Screenshot%20%2856%29.png?psid=1

5Ghz with 3 bar signal strength:

Screenshot%20%2855%29.png?psid=1

However, even though my speeds are not really that bad, I still don't rely on wireless for video streaming and gaming. I am using powerline adapters to connect my HTPC, PS4 and PS3 wired to my router anywhere inside my house via electrical outlets. I have 4 units of these adapters. I have a spare with built-in wireless router that I can plug in the balcony if I need better signal.

I only use my wireless connection for my smartphone and tablets/ipad.

Read  more about powerline adapters on google. Mine is TP-Link brand.

Edited by badr0b0t, 27 August 2014 - 10:59 PM.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#10 wachumba

wachumba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 28 August 2014 - 12:23 PM

Ty all. think I'm gonna go with a super cheap router and get the powerline adapters. rly only care about connection speed to the one computer I play the moba on and any router should be fast enough to stream music/dl school work.

#11 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 28 August 2014 - 03:55 PM

Ty all. think I'm gonna go with a super cheap router and get the powerline adapters. rly only care about connection speed to the one computer I play the moba on and any router should be fast enough to stream music/dl school work.

You can also connect an ethernet switch to a powerline adapter if you need to connect more than one device.

And I would also like to suggest to get gigabit type for all including Cat6 ethernet cables to optimize speed.

Edited by badr0b0t, 28 August 2014 - 04:06 PM.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#12 wachumba

wachumba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2014 - 04:30 PM

ok caved been too long without wireless. got the 802.11ac Asus RT-AC68U router joe suggested. will post how it works tomorrow. glad I learned about powerline adapters will suggest to friends that need it

also that Asus router was 40$ cheaper at best buy unless I got a lower model ...

#13 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 August 2014 - 06:55 PM

I've used power line ethernet adapters also, but only in situations where I had to get internet into a metal pole barn 100's of feet away or out to a pool area that wasn't anywhere near the router in the basement.

I would think any decent router will work from 30' through a wall unless that is a concrete or a steel wall.

Edit: I don't think at this time power line has the capability to use gigabit speeds

Edited by Joe C, 28 August 2014 - 06:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users