Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen Of Death and noisy HHD

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 samacer

samacer

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:14 PM

A few days ago i started to hear an 'electronic scraping' noise and found the noise was coming from the HDD and as my computer had been running a lot slower recently and a few crashes i was informed that my HDD was on its road to failure.

The next day after a few minutes of being logged on i got a Blue Screen Of Death reading.

' STOP : 0x0000000A (0x000000000000000, 0x000000000000002, 0x00000000000001, 0xFFFFF80003899C3F)'

Then i found my memory stick and attempted to copy all my files to it but of course was stopped by the BSOD after a minute of being logged on or so. I then tried to start in safe mode and copy my files which was successful and i didn't get the BSOD in safe mode so im wondering if it has something do with the normal mode.

I have an Acer Aspire 5734z made in 2010 and the only part replaced a new battery a few months ago and a cooling system clean just over a month ago.

Any replies and help greatly appreciated many thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:36 PM

The only relevance to it working well in Safe Mode is that Safe Mode loads a tiny lightweight version of what comes on during a normal boot up, so your dying hard drive managed to survive a bit more usage in that lightweight state, but it's certainly not an indication of it being healed.

If you got the warning and you hear the scraping and grinding, rest assured, that drive is done and gone.

All is well in Paradise.

#3 samacer

samacer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:49 PM

I head the sound on my old windows XP PC years ago and immediately recognised it on my laptop a few days ago as soon as it started up. Ive got everything important off so if it does die i wont loose anything when it dies. Its working for now but i aren't sure when it'll die

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:59 PM

Hi,

Do you know the brand of the Hard Disk you have?

Most HDD manufactures provide diagnostic tools you can use to check the disk health.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#5 samacer

samacer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:09 PM

It is an Hitachi HTS545032B9A300

It claims to be working properly. Ill use that other link now as the one i used was a basic one on the properties.

On safe mode its near silent with noise every now and then. However on normal mode the noise is always there.

I arent sure if this is important to this but ive just noticed since this morning on the view basic information page it had all the information on it. It is now not available for any of the sections.

Edited by samacer, 27 August 2014 - 02:21 PM.

#6 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:18 PM

You can download the Hitachi drive diagnostic tool, HGST Windows Drive Fitness test here: http://www.hgst.com/support/downloads#DFT

That bugcheck error code is caused by a number of things, including faulty drivers. The fact that the system runs better in Safe Mode, which loads just the minimal drivers needed, would seem to confirm that. An explanation of the 0x0000000A error and ways to troubleshoot it can be found here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff560129%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

#7 samacer

samacer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:29 PM

Unfortunately i cant install that link as i cant be in safe mode when installing it and am unable to remain on my computer long enough to do that on the normal mode before the BSOD shuts me down

#8 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:32 PM

Do you mean it won't download? Are you booting into Safe Mode with networking? You could try downloading it to another computer, save it to a USB, and transfer it over that way.

Meanwhile, try going through the troubleshooting steps in the MSDN Microsoft link I posted.

#9 samacer

samacer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:33 PM

It downloads into my files but i am unable to run the setup programme due to the BSOD which im looking into now

#10 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:11 PM

It has been my experience that every single time I or my clients have received the warning in Windows that the hard drive was failing, it was 100% true.

You're beating a dead horse to try to save it.

You need a new hard drive.

All is well in Paradise.

#11 samacer

samacer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2014 - 03:19 AM

Ive managed to remove that BSOD then i got a box with a new error code in which i fixed without a blue screen (0xc00000142 with sfc /scannow) and and going to get the HHD test now

#12 chasmunch

chasmunch

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:56 AM

I got the same troubling notices from my hard drive , with intermittent warnings to back up my files, which I did not.....ultimately the hard drive failed, just as the warnings predicted....I would save all your precious photos and downloads, favorites, emails, etcetera....to an external device....I did not and lost a ton of stuff.....I was able to buy a new hard drive and recovery disks (from Microsoft) and carry on....but in my totally amateur opinion, noises are not good, as in scraping...act sooner rather than later

#13 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2014 - 12:22 PM

Ive got everything important off so if it does die i wont loose anything when it dies. Its working for now but i aren't sure when it'll die

I understand. You just want to know if the disk is salvageable at all. As for the error code, did you get that when you tried to run sfc /scannow or before you ran it. That error code means one of your system files, probably a dll file, is missing or corrupt.

#14 samacer

samacer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 02:45 AM

I got that error code before I run sfc /scannow and after I run it, it stopped it appearing.

#15 Bilko101

Bilko101

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 29 August 2014 - 04:16 AM

This exact same thing happened to me last night after installing the latest Windows update KB2993651. Monitor went black, HDD (WDB1TB) started screeching. Then Windows restarted loading. I uninsalled that update and so far, so good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users