Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Performance Data

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Beaker77

Beaker77

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:15 AM

The screen shot below is from Process Explorer by Sysinternals showing my performance graphics for a typical browsing session. I honestly do not understand whether the data is satisfactory or not.

Would somebody kindly comment whether this kind of performance is normal or if something is showing as excessive ?

O1qN5LC.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:26 AM

Rather than try to interpret momentary data about system processes...I'd prefer it if you just tell us what problems you think that you have with your system.

And then...please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#3 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:44 AM

I am sorry to say, but I have no problems.

I  was simply asking for an interpretation of this kind of data from more knowledgeable members so that I can understand it better. . Some I understand, some I do not

If you feel it is not appropriate to ask for such assistence, please  delete the thread.

Edited by hamluis, 27 August 2014 - 10:48 AM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,094 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:51 AM

It's not showing anything that on the face of it looks unusual to me.  It doesn't really show "performance" as in a benchmark that can be compared against other systems.  What it is showing is resource usage.  Compared to an XP system I've got, there are quite a few more total processes running on your system, and the free memory is on the low side.  This can be due to start up items that load when you log into your system and take up resources, or just that you have a number of applications open.  I've just got a few things like Secunia PSI and Avira starting up with this system, but have deliberately tried to keep start up items and similar bloat as minimal as possible.

If you would like more guidance on trimming down non-essential start up items to improve performance, then it would probably be best for you to post the logs Louis requested and perhaps someone would be able to advise further.

I would say that you would probably notice an improvement to performance if you upgraded to 2Gb RAM if this is possible.

Just for the sake of comparison, here is the equivalent on my system (the current version of Process Explorer has a slightly different layout it appears).  At the point in time it had a few tabs of IE8 open, and of course Process Explorer itself.

85VFlsV.jpg

DvQHdVW.jpg

y691svP.jpg

PEkWvp4.jpg

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2014 - 02:56 PM

@ jonuk

What an excellent post of yours, with those great shots of the data. It is just the kind of analysis and comment I was looking for.

All I wanted was for  somebody like you to caste an eye on my data and say if it looks normal, plus of course add a few comments concerning the data, which you have done,

I  know my RAM is on the low side at 1GB, but it generally does OK for my humble rumbles through the web. I am only a browser, no games, video`s etc. My OS is Windows XP Home 2002 with SP3 and it is all working perfectly.

I like  your new version of Process Explorer. I will dump my old version and go for the newer one.

Thank you so much.

Edited by Beaker77, 28 August 2014 - 02:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users