Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG Daily Updating Hogs Resources

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Beaker77

Beaker77

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:26 AM

I have used AVG for years and am very satisfied with it, currently it is AVG 2014 free version.2014.0.4745. It updates automatically on schedule every day at a time I set. The schedule cannot be disabled.

I use Windows XP Home and have 960 MB of RAM. It is quite good enough for my normal activities.

But every time AVG updates, it seems to absorb all my resources and it is hopeless to try and carry on working. Everything in effect stops until AVG is finished, which takes a few minutes. Whatever I am doing freezes, there is no going on until the update has finished. It is very annoying when I am in the middle of something or need to carry on quickly.

I mentioned this on the AVG Forum, but got no response. AVG 2014 includes the protection of computer, web browsing, identity and emails. It suits me  fine except for this hogging of resources on updating.

Have you any comments, other than to dump AVG and install another AV ?

AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,095 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:03 PM

Your complaint in regards to AVG updating it's database is not uncommon with other anti-virus programs as well especially on older systems like Windows XP. Depending on your overall system spec's RAM, CPU speed, etc, the updating is competing for resources and usually takes priority over everything else.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,095 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:05 PM

BTW, since you indicated you cannot disable the schedule...why not change it so the update takes place at a time when you're not doing anything important.

How to change AVG update schedule

I also found this FAQ for AVG 2011 but the settings may be similar. Disabling or modifying settings of AVG update schedules

#4 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2014 - 02:01 AM

BTW, since you indicated you cannot disable the schedule...why not change it so the update takes place at a time when you're not doing anything important.

How to change AVG update schedule

I also found this FAQ for AVG 2011 but the settings may be similar. Disabling or modifying settings of AVG update schedules

I try to  do that, but I use Standby a lot  and the power is so low that it almost shuts the system down.

AVG is not able to update on Standby at the time set, so it waits until I power up and then starts to update, just when I do not  want it to.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,095 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:01 AM

If no one at the AVG forums was able to help, then I would try contacting AVG Support.
AVG Support Center
AVG Technical Support

#6 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:20 AM

If no one at the AVG forums was able to help, then I would try contacting AVG Support.
AVG Support Center
AVG Technical Support

You are incredibility helpful, but in the case og AVG I am afraid that help is impossible.

One of your links only applied to paid versions and the other was a mess.

I followed their online procedure, gave my name, email address and described my issue explicitly.Then instead of a submit I got a chat option which I took.

It was a waste of time. Some guy called Mohamed came on who had not read my input and started to re-invent the wheel. He harped on about how good the paid version was to protect my PC. I told him that I  was not interested in protection and that AVG`s hogging of resources was.the issue involved.

Quite honestly I  could have told him what the answer was. AVG is an acknowledged heavy program which gobbles up resources and my resources are not all that generous. The more RAM and CPU you have, the less effect AVG`s update demands will be noticed.

Anyway I bid him to have a nice day or night if in India and rode off into the sunset.

Thank you so much for your help. Unless I change my AV  to one which requires less resources on updating, I am stuck with it.

Edited by Beaker77, 29 August 2014 - 06:22 AM.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,095 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:09 AM

When choosing an anti-virus program, firewall or any other security software, availability of quality/prompt technical support from the vendor is always a consideration. Lack of adequate Customer Support in addressing issues related to the use of a vendor's product is one reason folks look for other alternatives.

I have been disappointed with AVG ever since they made a decision in April 2010 to partner with LimeWire and promote the use of peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing, a security risk which can make your system susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, and exposure of personal information.

Since the release of AVG 2011/2012/2013, there have been numerous complaints about issues and conflicts with other security tools like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. Read these related discussions:Even MajorGeeks, a popular download hosting site, had issued a Statement on AVG Free 2011 and removed its Editor's Pick listing at that time.

There have been reports of issues with the computer starting properly on 64-bit Windows sytems for which AVG has had to release these fix instructions.

There have also been numerous reported problems with computers after using features like PC Analyzer and PC Tuneup which purport to fix registry errors in order to make the system more stable and various optimizing tools which can make changes to system settings. I do not recommend the routine use of registry cleaners/optimizers as they are extremely powerful applications that can damage the Windows registry by using aggressive cleaning routines. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from booting properly. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

And finally there have been many user complaints about the lack of adequate AVG Customer Support in addressing issues related to the use of their product.

For these reasons, I no longer recommend AVG as a free alternative anti-virus solution.

#8 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:05 AM

@ Quietman

WOW ! What an impeccable post and what a testimonial to hang in the AVG Hall of Fame.

You wrote this :-

"I have been disappointed with AVG ever since they made a decision in April 2010 to partner with LimeWire and promote the use of peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharinga security risk which can make your system susceptible to asmörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, and exposure of personal information."

If AVG operates within Sandboxie and surely it must, then whatever risks it poses will be limited to the sandbox and any attempt to contact the PC with malware threats will be killed off on browser closure. Or has AVG got some kind of bypass ? Can it be that simply being installed on a PC enables AVG to conduct its threat campaign ?

Tricky, but I bet you have an answer.

Edited by Beaker77, 29 August 2014 - 10:08 AM.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,095 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:37 AM

... but I bet you have an answer.[/color]

Actually I do not. Since I have not used AVG in years for the reasons indicated previously, I have not kept current with the intricacies of all its features.

#10 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:50 PM

... but I bet you have an answer.[/color]

Actually I do not. Since I have not used AVG in years for the reasons indicated previously, I have not kept current with the intricacies of all its features.

Gotcha ! My highly respected Guru and Fountain of all Knowledge.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,095 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:27 PM

:thumbup2:

#12 DDK65JAG

DDK65JAG

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:29 PM

Beaker......You may have to restart your computer after making the changes, so that they stick.

I've disabled auto update on 3 machines using the method in quietman7's 2nd link, it works fine.

DDK.....still liking AVG free!

#13 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:04 AM

Post 7 is worrying.

Since AVG and any other individual program we have update direct with the Internet outside of Sandboxie, then if there is any malpractice as suggested, Sandboxie is useless as a virtual Internet protection and these programs can do whatever they wish to our PC`s.

"Hopefully" our ordinary AV is on duty against these direct Internet connections but if  the AV is the alleged malpracticing AVG like I have, all looks lost.

Not too much in love with these allegations.

The only contradiction to these allegations is that I have used AVG for around 10 years now and have not had a single  problem or matter of concern. In fact AVG has performed impeccably in capturing threats and has either cleaned them or put them in quarantine. Like every other AV, there have been false positives, but these are not too frequent.

So  although AVG has received criticism and is alleged to be susceptible to malpractice, my experience is nothing but perfect. In my opinion, AVG free is by far the most outstanding comprehensive packaged AV program available on the market today. Just make sure when you  download it that you do not get their infernal Safe Search and toolbar, uncheck those items on the Wizard. They are a pest and never use the PC Analyser, this is just a gimmick that will only lead to trouble.

Edited by Beaker77, 30 August 2014 - 05:40 AM.

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,095 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 01:16 PM

AVG Security Toolbar and AVG Secure Search are optional add-ons when installing their anti-virus product if you choose "Customized" install instead of "Express". Since most folks choose an Express install they usually are not aware these options are also being installed as they are pre-checked by default during installation. Some users have also reported that after AVG auto-updates, it will install the toolbar as a browser add-on without input from the user.

#15 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:55 AM

Beaker......You may have to restart your computer after making the changes, so that they stick.

I've disabled auto update on 3 machines using the method in quietman7's 2nd link, it works fine.

DDK.....still liking AVG free!

I disabled the auto update ad got a huge YOU ARE NOT PROTECTED warning shoved in front of me and the tray icon went a sickly color.

It is either just a nasty psychological tactic or even  worse, they have disabled their AV if updating has been disabled. Obviously AVG have never heard of manual updating, a common procedure with many programs.. They could have simply shown that updating is disabled like other programs, including Windows, nevertheless it worked. 

So until I upgrade my set and increase my RAM, I will have to tolerate AVG stopping my activities for a few minutes  every day.

Any kind of support from AVG is non-existent. The only response I have ever got from their useless Forums is a 6 month infraction for telling them to wake up and get their finger out.

Edited by Beaker77, 31 August 2014 - 04:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users