Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

3TB drive situation

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 slysilverfox

slysilverfox

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:13 AM

in ignorance but always trying to learn.....

I had win 7 OS on 3TB (Seagate disc wizard configured it) decided after six months too much info on one hard drive, too risky in case of drive errors or viruses...

I put the old drive back in (500GB) I had not formatted it so plug in and use...

on start up the 3TB over rides system and tries to open as main drive....it shows as disk 0 in computer management

if I unplug the sata lead the 500GB becomes disk 0

how can I get the 500GB to control start up? and become disc 0

I have run various tools to try and open or show the system partition and then delete it.

( disc wizard and dos and diskpart)

I then formatted it

the drive appears to be empty but it shows as 2.72TB

the drive still holds a boot record 

can I factory reset the 3TB CC27 firmware (I have looked but cannot find a solution to this yet)

in bios the default boot is UEFI:Built-in EFI Shell

The 500GB lists as AHCI

THE 3GB lists as SATA

the desktop is usable with a F11 start up, but it takes a few attempts to get it running..

open to any ideas.....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:34 AM

Hello, and Welcome

If i understand correctly, you wish to format the 3TB drive completely. I would use the bootable version of Partition Wizard. Burn the iso file and boot the disk. Select the 3TB disk and delete all partitions. Next step would be to initialize the disk as a GPT disk so you can make use of the full capacity. Next Partition and format to NTFS. You might want to put multiple partitions on the drive.

If you still have a problem then I would Wipe the drive with zeros (quick), intialize GPT, then partition and format.

#3 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:25 AM

Hi,

Besides the suggestions made by JohnC it seems you need to enter the UEFI BIOS and find the option to set the Hard Disks order to make the 500GB hdd drive 0.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#4 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:15 AM

Or just simply switch the SATA cable between the 2 hard drives.

If it doesn't work, you need to get to the BIOS and setup your boot drive. The steps vary depending on the motherboard you have but on my PC, I press F10 to get to the BIOS and look for something there to set up "Boot Order" and move the 500GB on top. It doesn't matter if it's 0 or 1,etc. as long as the drive you want is set as priority drive.

Edited by badr0b0t, 27 August 2014 - 09:19 AM.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#5 slysilverfox

slysilverfox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:35 PM

thank you for your replies.

JohnC_21............... I will try your suggestions over the next couple of days

SleepyDude.....I am not sure what you mean, in the bios I can change the boot order, I change it to the 500GB.....but it always reverts back to the 3tb when I reboot 

badr0b0t....have switched leads and ports.....ASRock A75 Pro4-M board has 5 sata ports...not sure of "setting priority drive" (unless you mean changing the boot order) 

F2 gets me into bios...but F11 gives me an option to change boot without entering the bios

#6 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:40 PM

thank you for your replies.

JohnC_21............... I will try your suggestions over the next couple of days

SleepyDude.....I am not sure what you mean, in the bios I can change the boot order, I change it to the 500GB.....but it always reverts back to the 3tb when I reboot 

badr0b0t....have switched leads and ports.....ASRock A75 Pro4-M board has 5 sata ports...not sure of "setting priority drive" (unless you mean changing the boot order) 

F2 gets me into bios...but F11 gives me an option to change boot without entering the bios

F11 (or F9 on other PCs) will give you the option to change boot drive but you will have to do that each time. Yeah, I meant changing boot order.

There's a work around. Hide the system partition on the 3TB drive. You can unhide it anytime. :)

Edited by badr0b0t, 27 August 2014 - 08:42 PM.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:06 AM

You could also use EasyBCD to simply edit all boot files, ensuring that the default boot is the one you desire.

Louis

#8 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2014 - 01:28 PM

Check the BIOS Boot Option Priorities / Boot Option #1 or Boot Option #2 those options should allow you to select the boot drive UEFI:HDD_Model.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#9 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:33 PM

You can't just format it you have to FDISK it.

#10 slysilverfox

slysilverfox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 07:26 PM

I thank you all for your suggestions............

I have tried on quite a  few occasions, with the programmes found and offered, to resolve this.

I am left with a 177mb file/area on the hard drive (I cannot remove it as it is hidden from all programmes I have used))

either Seagate discwizard has played with the bios to accept the 3TB drive or there is a boot file in the 177mb section on the disc...

my only option at this time is not to use the drive...............unless????????????

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:17 PM

Is there any reason why you cannot use the drive with this 177mb or used space? I am not sure it is a boot file. See this thread. Also this.

There may be a way to check to see if this is a HPA area but you would need a linux live disk

#12 slysilverfox

slysilverfox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:58 AM

JohnC_21

in your see this thread

I used Seagate wizard to create the 3TB for use as a single drive without partitions then - added OS Win 7...

I tried to remove OS and created this situation

this is a result of now wishing to use as storage only....

when the 3TB drive is plugged in - it becomes the boot drive...........

I have to use F11 to change boot sequence for start up...

when I change boot options in the BIOS it reverts back to the 3TB

obviously I have done something wrong in the process

maybe a firmware update to drive may solve or ruin it completely

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 07:50 AM

I don't think that 177mb data would cause the drive to boot but it's possible. Did you zero out the drive using disk wipe option of partition wizard?

Another option for wiping the drive is HDDformat. The only problem is the free version only will erase 180GB per hour so for a 3TB drive it will be a very long time. But the home version is only $3 which does not have a speed limit so it may be worth a try.

Edit: You can also download Parted Magic. Burn the iso and boot. Open a terminal and type:

fdisk -l

This will list the hard drives of the computer

Type:

hdparm -I /dev/sdx  

This will give info on the drive. Type:

hdparm -N /dev/sdx

This will give two values and tell you whether HPA is active and the size which will be the difference between the two numbers.

where x is the letter of the 3TB drive

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 September 2014 - 08:47 AM.

#14 slysilverfox

slysilverfox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:16 AM

I appear to have solved my issue................probably my fault for, as usual, not reading about items before using them.

ACRONIS SOFTWARE  from the Seagate disc wizard programme...added to device manager..........

I removed Seagate programme, that removed Acronis,  now it boots up as It should do......

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:52 AM

Thanks for the update. I am sure this will help other people that have the same issue. Did removing the Acronis software also remove the 177MB of disk space?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users