Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Connect Via FTP

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 joebeaven

joebeaven

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:44 AM

Hi,

I'm using Windows 7 and FileZilla 3.9.0.3 to try to connect to my website, but I keep getting the following error:

Error: Connection timed out
Error: Could not connect to server

I told my webhost and they said they were able to access my site via FTP using the same details I was using. I tried disabling my firewall and connecting, but that didn't help. I verified in Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center that "Network Discovery" was on.

My webhost told me to try a couple of things in command prompt which you can see the results of here:

telnet.jpg

tracert.jpg

My webhost support are responsive, but they seem to be running out of ideas, so I thought I'd post here and try to get some more advice.

It would be much appreciated is someone could help.

Thanks,
Joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:07 PM

You have to enable telnet in Windows.

The telnet command they gave will tell you if port 21 is opened or closed.

http://kb.siteground.com/ftp_port_21/

#3 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,161 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:15 PM

It could be that your antivirus is blocking your access to that website, if you have some sort of Internet protection feature turned on.

Note that in trying the tracert command using the URL, it was able to find the IP address, 213.171.193.5. Since it's not your firewall blocking the access, you antivirus is the most likely cause.

Another thing to check might be your hosts file: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972034

#4 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 28 August 2014 - 04:59 AM

Fix-It fixed it. Thanks a lot for the help.

#5 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,161 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2014 - 12:26 PM

Glad you got that resolved.  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users