Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mysterious task won't go away

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 faelae

faelae

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:37 AM

Hi.

I'm having this issue with my laptop, and I can't really tell weather I'm infected or not.

Here's the situation:   A little while after the laptop boots on Windows 7 desktop, I noticed that if I press the alt-tab key combination for task-switching, there's another task running besides "desktop".  

This task is seemingly unselectable.  (whenever I highlight it using alt-tab, it always switches back to deskop.  Same thing happens if I try to click on it while the alt-tab task switch screen is displayed).

The task in question is also unnamed ! (I'm only seeing its "icon"), and therefore I can't google it to find information about it and determine if it's there due to a virus infection, or not.  

I thought about trying to determine how it's named by using the task manager,  but randomly killing processes until I find the correct one doesn't seem the right way to solve this problem.

Hopefully this task will be something harmless (maybe a program that I set up to load every time windows 7 boots, but then completely forgot about it... :) ).

I should also mention that I didn't get any virus or malware warnings during my latest scan just a couple days ago (I'm using mcafee & MS security essentials, but just to be on the safe side I wanted to try something different, so I recently deactivated them and installed the free versions of Avira & MB antimalware - which also came up with nothing !)

The only other piece of information I can provide, is a screenshot of my task-switch window (taken right after my laptop has booted to the desktop), which shows both the desktop and the "other" task, highlighted over at the left.

Hopefully someone will recognize what this is by looking at its icon, and be able to provide further info:  

task.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:08 AM

Windows Task Manager does not provide enough information. These are tools to investigate running processes, programs that run at startup, services and gather additional information to identify them or resolve problems:Right-clicking on a process in ProcessHacker or System Explorer allows you to send it (File Check) to Jotti's virusscan or VirusTotal. Process Hacker also allows sending it to Camas Comodo.

Right-clicking on a process in Process Explorer or AnVir TaskManager Free allows you to send it to VirusTotal.

If you are using Firefox, you can use the VTzilla Add-on to check (analyze) a file for malware at VirusTotal before downloading and saving it to you computer.

-- System Explorer provides a security check of running processing using their online security database when you first launch the program. Just press the Security Scan tab at the top, then click Start Security Check. After the check you can click the link to See the results of the security check >>. Keep in mind, that the check is not a guarantee of what is or is not detected as malware.

-- Process Explorer shows two panes by default: the upper pane is always a process list and the bottom pane either shows the list of DLLs loaded into the process selected in the upper pane, or the list of operating system resource handles (files, Registry keys, synchronization objects) the process has open. In the menu at the top select View > Lower Pane View to change between DLLs and Handles.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 faelae

faelae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:20 PM

Many thanks for your help.

I finally found out that the mystery process / task, was a service program for my mobile phone that was set to start automatically with windows. 

VirusTotal said it was completely safe, but since I still preferred to start it manually instead of automatically, I removed it from the startup list by using msconfig.

So, that was it;  case closed !

Thanks again for your assistance. :)

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:13 PM

You're welcome.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018