Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu 14.04 : After installation assistance for basic set up and security.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Agent_Orange

Agent_Orange

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:30 AM

Hi all,

I have finally made the leap into the world of Linux by installing Ubuntu 14.04.

I found a resource that provides instructions on securing the system by removing vulnerabilities after installation is complete (http://www.itsecurity.com/features/ubuntu-secure-install-resource/) , however, I was not able to find the files that the author advises to amend and cannot find the "system" tab that reveals the "administration" to follow his instructions to enable automatic security updates.

So far, the only changes that I have made are as follows :

1. Enable Partner & Independent Repositories in Ubuntu Software Centre : I have edited the software sources to include Canonical Repositories (all 4 boxes now checked)

2. Software Updater :  I ran this until no further updates were found.

I am not sure if there is another resource available somewhere but I sure could use some help with "getting started with a basic , secure set up" as right now, I cannot even decide which firewall should be used (Firestarter, SmoothWall, etc), which network tools I should have installed (Nagios, Wireshark, Nessus etc) or how to modify insecure default system settings.

Any assistance whatsoever would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Agent_Orange, 27 August 2014 - 04:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,546 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:29 AM

I cannot even decide which firewall should be used (Firestarter, SmoothWall, etc),

Open terminal and type this.

sudo ufw enable

And forget about the rest.

This will start the default firewall and create a script that will start it at boot each time.

To confirm it is running in terminal type

sudo ufw verbose

It should say active. Thats it.

Now read this.

Ubuntu Desktop Computing Made Easy (Trusty 14.04 LTS)

Here you should find everything you need software wise and how to get it thru apt-get.

http://www.itsecurity.com/features/ubuntu-secure-install-resource/

Really.

While he makes 2 or 3 good points most of the tools he talks about are not novice friendly. Update is enabled, No mention of UFW, I could go on an on.

And a novice messing with grub password is a train wreck in motion.

Backdoors Really? Point them out and the Linux community will have a patch out in hours, Not days or weeks.

Edited by NickAu1, 27 August 2014 - 05:51 AM.

#3 Agent_Orange

Agent_Orange
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:00 AM

Hi and thanks NickAu!

One more question if I may please.....

Would you know if I have to download the drivers for my Nvidia GeForce GTX 660?

I ask because when opening a program, if I run my mouse over it it scrambles the image into something unreadable.

Anyway, I looked in "Additional Drivers" and found a message stating that "No proprietary drivers are in use" 

It also says that my Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 is "Using an alternate driver"

I can see that it is using : X.Org server - Nouveau display driver and that there is a Nvidia binary driver version 331.38 listed below it.

When I attempted to change the driver from the Nouveau to the Nvidia it simply reverted back to the Nouveau - no change was made????

Thanks for the help with the firewall - I found the "terminal" and have activated the firewall  - it gave me a confirmation that it is active and will start at boot up. I read the information from the link but it does not make much sense to me right now - it does not really explain anything so might have to come back to that.

​Thanks for any assistance that you may be able to provide.

Edited by Agent_Orange, 27 August 2014 - 06:21 AM.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,546 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:16 AM

I gave up with grafix cards now I just run onboard grafix. I took the card out walked it to the bin and dropped it in there, Too much hassle.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-display-amd64-304.51-driver

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-display-ia32-304.43-driver.html

Read this.

How do I install Geforce GTX 660 in 13.10 - Ask Ubuntu

To turn off the Amazon rubbish in dash switch this to off Thanks to JohnC_21 for the image

VbUsS.jpg

PS.

Hi neighbour where about's in Brisvegas.

Edited by NickAu1, 27 August 2014 - 06:19 AM.

#5 Agent_Orange

Agent_Orange
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:31 AM

Paddington - Guthrie Terrace - approximately 270 steps to the Paddo Tavern!!!!!

Man, are you telling me that I cannot use my Nvidia graphics card with Ubuntu- I am stuck with whatever Ubuntu has decided is best?

I am starting to think that using Windows (and spending most of my time dodging bullets whenever I switch on my modem) is far less painful than using what seems to be a convoluted, archaic bunch of crap.

Next thing you know I will be told that my mouse will not work with Ubuntu - I will have to use a crayon instead.

Over it already - Linux  can keep harping on about its superior security because at the end of the day - that's all it has going for it.

Edited by Agent_Orange, 27 August 2014 - 06:37 AM.

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,546 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:41 AM

Ahh the paddo I used to live in New Farm.

Sorry to be a pain but I think you would like Kubuntu.

Kubuntu | Friendly Computing

My i5 This PC now has 16 GiB ram.

http://youtu.be/XyDm_lcn0cs

My laptop Hp Pavillion g6 4GB ram.

http://youtu.be/N-4LCgCTXiw

Man, are you telling me that I cannot use my Nvidia graphics card with Ubuntu-

No im just saying I dont use Nvidia, The laptop is ati raedon, The last nvidia card I had was a while ago and I never set it up. If we cant help you im sure the Ubuntu forum can .

Edited by NickAu1, 27 August 2014 - 06:49 AM.

#7 Agent_Orange

Agent_Orange
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:49 AM

New Farm  - know it well - spent a lot of time in the Valley on the weekends ( I listen to breaks so that is where you would most likely find a breakbeat Dj) - all the best clubs in that area.

I will take a look at Kubuntu but for now I am trying to overcome my displeasure at how things that you take for granted don't seem to work with Ubuntu (like your graphics driver working with your OS).

If I had an idea that I was going to face all kinds of difficulties in simply bringing my machine up to speed I would never have made the switch - seduced by the offer of improved security not realising that there was going to be an awfully big trade off for that.

Edited by Agent_Orange, 27 August 2014 - 06:51 AM.

#8 Agent_Orange

Agent_Orange
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:01 AM

No worries guys - I really do appreciate the help that you are providing - sorry if I am coming across as being ungrateful - not my intention.

Just getting a bit frazzled here by the amount of research I am having to do and the roadblocks that I am encountering with "simple stuff".

I might call it a night and attack this again in the morning - tossing it in and reverting back to Windows would be the easy option. the easy way to go.

Thanks again - nice chatting with a couple of local boys!

Go the Hawks! (sorry - I might live in Brisbane but I don't follow the NRL....AFL all the way for me!)

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,546 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:03 AM

I am trying to overcome my displeasure at how things that you take for granted don't seem to work with Ubuntu (like your graphics driver working with your OS).

And in Whingedos the drivers work ? Oh no you have to install the correct ones. Well same as linux

If I had an idea that I was going to face all kinds of difficulties in simply bringing my machine up top speed I would never have made the switch.

Once you enable firewall thats it there is no messing about with anti malware and this and that.

Open firefox install Noscript, AddBlock plus, And Pop Up Blocker, and you are set to go on the net.

The Link I gave you has everything you need to set up linux, Cd rippers media players office you name it and its all free and malware free unlike Whingedos 3rd pary software.

The only thing you need to do is type sudo apt-get install xxxxx.

Remember you are new to Linux don't expect to know everything. Did you know everything In windows when you first started?

Try Kubuntu its very windows like.

http://youtu.be/VNzZr4aFPVY

Edited by NickAu1, 27 August 2014 - 07:05 AM.

#10 Agent_Orange

Agent_Orange
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:10 AM

I hear you NicAu1, message received and understood mate.

Just frustrated at my own lack of understanding really and still somewhat in the point & click mindset of a Windows user  - a good night sleep is probably all I need right now (pretty damn petulant guy when I am tired).

Again - thanks for all of the help that you have provided - not just here but on my previous topic as well.

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,546 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:18 AM

Just frustrated at my own lack of understanding really and still somewhat in the point & click mindset of a Windows user

Don't stress, Once we knock that point and click out of you lol. As you see in the above video Kubuntu is point n click if you want. Do not be afraid of terminal, Its not that hard, And once you start to use terminal you will love it, Did you know you can fix almost anything thru terminal? Duckduckgo.com yes its a real search engine is very good in linux stuff type in how to install nvidia drivers in ubuntu and you get https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+to+install+nvidia+drivers+in+ubuntu+via+terminal+velocity

Anyhoo its late I need my sleep too.

PS

Ubuntu is not user friendly like Kubuntu.

Edited by NickAu1, 27 August 2014 - 07:24 AM.

#12 Agent_Orange

Agent_Orange
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:27 AM

I am off too mate - sandman is on his way, but I will hold him off until I have looked at the the link that you have provided and see if I cant get this driver issue sorted - would make me sleep a lot easier having at least accomplished that.

Cheers!

#13 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,969 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:41 PM

I have a 10 year old Nvidia GeForce 8600GT video card, and after scanning my system, Driver Manager listed a few Nvidia drivers and recommended one of them. Downloading and installing it was simply a matter of clicking on it.

That was with Kubuntu 14.04 though, but I imagine that Ubuntu 14.04 would have the same Driver Manager or something similar. The main problem I recall with Ubuntu was the lack of menus, making it hard to find applications, and like Nick I much prefer Kubuntu. But I would try opening the application finder utility on Ubuntu (I forget what it's called) and type ''Driver Manager'' into the box to see if it's there.

EDIT:

If you are running Ubuntu unity desktop, simply launch the dash and search for "driver". Then click the application named "Additional Drivers". It will launch the same dialog box as shown above.

How to install the latest Nvidia drivers

I see you have already done that; perhaps this would work.

Edited by Al1000, 27 August 2014 - 06:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users