Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems removing all traces of Mcafee.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tempsc

tempsc

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:21 AM

Hi. Bought Bitdefender and on attempting to install it advised me that Mcafee needed to be uninstalled. This was a surprise as I didn't know I had it! It had never appeared anywhere on the system at any time. (Must have been one of the kids). Anyway, i downloaded the removal tool and it advised uninstalation was incomplete. I made contact with Mcafee on their chat system and they went ahead and remotely attempted removal. This too was unsuccesful and so it was sent to 'tier 2' for them to have a go. I had to leave them to it and on getting back to the PC this morning, Bitdefender installer advised Mcafee stil needs to be removed! Very frustrating.

Can anyone assist please?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:15 AM

McAfee recommends you uninstall using Programs and Features (or Add/Remove Programs) before running their McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR).

* How to uninstall your products using MCPR.exe
* How to uninstall or reinstall McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR)

Instead of Programs and Features or Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel, you can also use a third-party utility like Revo Uninstaller Free or Portable which does a more comprehensive job of searching for and removing related registry entries, files and folders. Follow these instructions for using it.

Sometimes the uninstall works more effectively if you first stop and disable the program's service (and associated processes) or perform the removal in safe mode so there are less processes which can interfere with the uninstallation.

If none of the above work, then I suggest you wait for a solution from McAfee Technical Support.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users