Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Turn on PC via RDC

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 iConqueror

iConqueror

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:46 PM

Can you turn on and remote in to a PC that is turned off?

I ask because the NIC light still flashes even when the PC is turned off which obviously means that there is some connectivity there.

Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:39 PM

Yes, but the computer has to be configured for either wake on LAN or wake on RDP, and your router needs to be configured to support it as well. Those are all disabled by default.

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:16 AM

Google wake on wan for more info

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:17 PM

Or if you have a i3. i5 or i7 chip you can use AMT to turn on, off, boot from remote media and more.... if you are on the same network.

#5 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:15 PM

Usually you have to enable the WOL in the nic cards advanced settings. Control Panel | Network and Internet | Network Connections. Right click the local network connection and go to properties. Next, click on the configure button and to advanced tab.

For instance on my system I have: Shutdown Wake-On-Lan, Wake on magic packet, Wake on pattern match, WOL & shutdown link speed. All of those are already on by default. Yours might need to be set to enable. Even though these are turned on I still have to turn them on/off in the bios. You would have to turn them on in the bios as well. You shouldn't have a problem setting it up on newer motherboards. Be aware some older motherboards may only support WOL in certain states s1-s3 generally s3 being (standby). Newer system will also support s4 (hibernation) s5 (power off). In order for s5 to work properly the motherboard has to support the always on +5 voltage. Which explains the NIC standby yellow light ready to receive it's magic packet signal over the network. Depending on the bios sometimes enabling the WOL also turns on the +5 voltage, or in some cases there is a certain 3 pin header with a jumper on the motherboard also enables it. Getting everything setup correctly can be tedious and take some time. All of this should work locally no problem.

The next issue lies with getting the magic packet through the router and that is whole different topic in itself. Without having a robust router that supports WOL it may never work across the internet. Routers that can support and be flashed to third party DDWRT or Tomato firmware have WOL features. The best way is to logon to the router from a remote location and send a WOL packet from the router's web portal itself. If the router supports VPN, SSH, PPTP etc it's possible to do it that way too if you're in the same network IP range. Many newer low grade routers do not have WOL feature at all which is sad since WOL been around forever. It works good when you get it to work. LOL

Edit: Here is a nice website that will Wake your system from it's location. Good for testing if the magic packet is reaching the system and the router is properly forwarding the ports. http://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/woli.aspx and a WOL program...http://magicpacket.free.fr/

Edited by technonymous, 30 August 2014 - 10:22 PM.

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:28 PM

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-howto/29941-how-to-wake-on-lan-wake-on-wan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users