Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Raid combinations

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 asydney25

asydney25

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:09 PM

Ok. so. first off.

Windows 7 professional.

120gb ssd (OS and Some programs.)

(2) 700 gb HDD seagate 

(1) 500 gb HDD Westdell

(1) 2 tb hdd westdell

So my question/what im trying to do is this:

create a raid striping system out of the two 700 gb HDD and the 500 GB HDD (for slightly better performance).

and mirroring that 1900 gb of space onto the 2 tb HDD (for protection/backup).

This way I can create a large volume but also back it up in case one of the drives contained in it dies.

Is that possible? Or would it have to be one big spanned volume (no striping, therefore no performance boost), and I can mirror the spanned volume.

Or is that also out of the question??

Edit:

Also wondering about Hard ware vs software raids. Just in general some information. I hear hardware is better. Not entirley sure what that means. Im trying to contain the above setup within my computer case in the housing for hard drives.

Edited by asydney25, 26 August 2014 - 08:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:15 AM

You can do a JBOD (Just a bunch of disks) configuration, but I would highly recommend against it since if one drive fails you lose everything.

You may be able to do the striping, RAID0, if you set all partitions to be 500GB, resulting in a 1.5TB drive size.  Again, if one drive fails all data is lost.

You can do drive mirroring, RAID1, with the two 700GB drives.  This will give you one 700GB drive with full redundancy, but minimal if any speed increase.

Hardware RAID is better and can be done on either the system board or an add in card.

Since you have the speed from the SSD why do you want to increase the speed of your storage drives?

#3 asydney25

asydney25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:31 PM

thanks for the response. I've been looking at it some more. I guess what I would be doing is a raid 0+1. 

So i guess what your saying is in order to do that all the partitions have to be the same size.  Well then can i make a 1500 gb raid0 drive, like you said, but then mirror that 1.5tb onto the 2 tb drive for redundancy(raid1)? I understand the data loss part, so I definently would like to set up some sort of failsafe. 

Just kinda looking at my options. I'm honestly just really enjoying learning what my rig can/cannot do. 

im using the ssd for just programs. OS and a bunch of 3d programs and some games. The rest of the drive I want to use simply for data/files/pictures/video/3dprojects. Id like the performance boost just cuz I can, if I can.  And you know, efficiency. But again I understand the potential for losing data, so im curious if i can mirror a 3 drive raid0 system onto a single drive. 

Which brings me to my next question:

If im only using 1.5tb on the raid0 system (out of a possible 1900). then Id only be mirroring 1.5tb onto the 2tb (if possible), which would mean theres 500gb not being used. by creating two partitions on that drive, can i use 1.5tb for the raid0+1 system, and still be able to use the remaining 500 gb for whatever else?? or would I be wasting 500 gb of space?

Thanks again for your help.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 29 August 2014 - 04:03 PM

can i make a 1500 gb raid0 drive, like you said, but then mirror that 1.5tb onto the 2 tb drive for redundancy(raid1)? I understand the data loss part, so I definently would like to set up some sort of failsafe.

I don't really know.  Normally when you implement RAID you use the same size drive, if not the same models.  A lot of it will depend on the hardware or software that you are using to configure the RAID.

You're not going to see much improvement going with RAID on your storage drives.  Running World of Warcraft off of my SSD I get into all of the instances faster than those with mechanical drives, however the difference is only a few seconds at most.  The only time speed will be of any advantage would be when loads are required, such as changing zones and even then the differences will be minimal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users