Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Got my first virus/malware from home.mirror-google.com

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bummedwindowsuser

bummedwindowsuser

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:03 PM

After getting that, windows would randomly open up. I got that virus from what I though was a trusted source when trying to download a different version of Windows Movie Maker.

I went and downloaded Malwarebytes and it didnt' find anything. I then bought Norton 360 and did a Norton Power Eraser. It found two issues related to the company that makes the home.mirror-google.com website. I deleted those and they would pop back up the next days. I decided to do re format my HD and restore everything back to factory settings. But I think this code stayed in there.

I am running a New Toshiba with windows 8.1 and I am now trying to download GoPro's software. But for it to work GoPro wants me to download QuickTime 7, but I keep getting this error code.....

The file

'ul_catalog.98CB24AD_52FB_DB5F_FF1F_C883B9A1E18E'

cannot be installed because the file cannot be found in

cabinet file 'QuickTime.cab'. This could indicate a network

error, an error reading from the CD-ROM, or a problem

with this package.

Please HELP!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bummedwindowsuser

bummedwindowsuser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:37 PM

Can I get some help please?

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:50 PM

Moved from AII to WIN 8
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:49 PM

Someone might make a case for a virus surviving a format, but I can tell you from real life experience of doing it thousands of times, I've never seen any data whatsoever, survive a format, so I suggest you consider alternative reasons for your problem, which I unfortunately, know nothing about.

All is well in Paradise.

#5 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:29 PM

That doesn't sound like a malware issue. It sounds like you are trying to install a Quicktime ActiveX control in Internet Explorer -- is that correct? If so, have you tried re-downloading Quicktime?

Also, I would assume the GoPro software doesn't require the Quicktime ActiveX control, it most likely requires the Quicktime desktop program. You can download that from here: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

-- Matt

#6 bummedwindowsuser

bummedwindowsuser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:59 PM

That doesn't sound like a malware issue. It sounds like you are trying to install a Quicktime ActiveX control in Internet Explorer -- is that correct? If so, have you tried re-downloading Quicktime?

Also, I would assume the GoPro software doesn't require the Quicktime ActiveX control, it most likely requires the Quicktime desktop program. You can download that from here: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

Kokomodrums, thank you. I'm not sure what was going on with that error. What I don't understand is that when I went to install the GoPro software it automatically tried to install the ActiveX control. So the link you provided worked, Thank you. Again, I'm not understanding what all this is or means, but you got the GoPro software to start working. :)

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:38 PM

Gopro Support...

http://gopro.com/contact-us

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users