Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Something Very Strange...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:46 PM

I'm not quite sure if this is the correct place for this - if not, please feel free to move it.

I recently had an issue with my bootmgr file missing - or probably more accurately, with Windows not being able to detect it. More about that issue (which has been resolved), can be seen in this topic:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/545559/missing-bootmgr-message/

So, everything seemed to be solved. Then, when I rebooted, I got the same missing bootmgr message again. On a whim, I did a reboot and entered the BIOS. Sure enough, the first boot device was NOT my system drive. It was the USB card reader on my printer. I corrected that, rebooted, and all was well until the next reboot, when yet another drive was incorrectly listed as the first boot device.

I have no idea why the BIOS settings would change with each startup. Further, I've always been under the impression that the system will look at the first boot device listed, and if there is no OS there, it will move on to the next, and so on, until it finds the OS.

As a temporary fix, I tried disabling all boot devices except the first boot device, specifying my system drive as the boot device. That did not work - it still changed to a randomly selected drive and attempted to boot from it.

Any ideas?

Edited by MelissaPleases, 26 August 2014 - 07:49 PM.

Snowden03.png

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:55 PM

Wow... that truly is strange.

Let's put aside the "why" aspect and just go for the most likely solution.

The problem is clearly in the bios (unless you have a third party program installed in your system, such as EasyBCD, that can control boot devices, etc), so that's where I'd start, by flashing the bios, be it to the same version you already have, or a newer one, if it is available.

All is well in Paradise.

#3 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:44 AM

My first guess would be a dying bios battery.

#4 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:15 AM

I agree with technonymous, two things to look at (probably stating the obvious but)

1 Is the date and time correct?

2 You did save and Exit? when leaving the BIOS.

Just checking

Good luck

Hedge 

#5 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:27 AM

rockysosusa, I'll give that a try. I don't have anything installed that can control the boot devices.

technonymous & hedgeley, yes, the date and time are correct, and I did use F10 to save the changes to the BIOS and exit.

Snowden03.png

Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

#6 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:40 AM

I would still check the Bios battery, unless already done

Hedge

#7 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:44 PM

Well, I actually did both. I replaced the battery, and then I flashed the BIOS. All seems to be in good working order now. Thanks all, for pointing me in the right direction... :)

Snowden03.png

#8 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 03:23 AM

Good news :thumbup2:

Hedge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users