Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Elusive Bluetooth

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 BearPup

BearPup

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:46 PM

I am not sure if this is the right forum, if not, please feel free to move it to the correct one!

I recently purchased a refurbished Dell Latitude 2100, a 10.1" netbook, with 2 GB of RAM, running Windows 7 Home Premium. I love the little machine. Graphics, sound, and Ethernet are all onboard the motherboard. It has 3 USB ports,  a VGA port, a six-cell battery, VGA camera, etc. It also comes with Bluetooth, and therein lies the problem. It loads in the autoruns section of startup, but I can not isolate it or make use of it. There is no software application tied to it, and the tray app that is supposed to be there is nowhere to be found.

My reason for wanting the Bluetooth is to transfer files between computers (I have 3: a desktop, a laptop, and the netbook) As it is, the other two computers are not Bluetooth enabled, but I had hoped to use nano receivers to make them Bluetooth enabled. Currently I'm using Microsft's OneDrive app to transfer files, but it seems a slow and cumbersome process. I'd be interested in hearing other people's take on Bluetooth vs OneDrive.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:21 AM

I use Dropbox to share files with my PC, phone and tablet. You don't need Bluetooth.

http://www.dropbox.com/

#3 BearPup

BearPup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:19 AM

Hi Frankp316,

Thanks for replying.  Can you explain why you chose Dropbox versus OneDrive? Or perhaps what are the advantages of Dropbox over OneDrive.

Thanks.

Regards,

BearPup

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,859 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:38 AM

Or, you can try a simpler alternative...

Filedrop.

http://www.filedropme.com/

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#5 BearPup

BearPup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:43 AM

Hi Condobloke,

Thanks for replying. I've gotten a couple of suggestions, one of which is Dropbox, and now yours for Filedropme. Do you have any experience of how Filedrop compares to either MS OneDrive or Dropbox?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,612 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:08 AM

For your reference here is the bluetooth driver and application for the latitude 2100

DW365 Bluetooth - Win7 32bit and 64bit Combined Driver and Application (Customer Installer)

Systems

Latitude 2100

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/driverdetails?driverid=83V6K

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 August 2014 - 08:08 AM.

#7 BearPup

BearPup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:14 AM

Hello JohnC_21,

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm off to the Dell site now to check it out. Again, my sincere appreciation.

Regards,

BearPup

#8 BearPup

BearPup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:07 AM

For now, it looks like I'm going to try dropbox.

1. Its free.
  2. Doesn't require that I buy new hardware (no startup cost)
  3. MS OneDrive has driven me crazy with their security checks - I can't sign-in to my own computers!
  4. I can't imagine using the 2 GB limit as this is only a 'transfer station', 1 computer to another.

My sincere thanks to all who responded. Once I actually use Dropbox, and assuming it's still my choice, I'll return and mark it as the Answer.

Regards,

BearPup

#9 BearPup

BearPup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:33 AM

Well I've done a quick test and like what I see so far. My computers are linked together exactly like I wanted with no hardware required. FileDrop seems still in its infancy, and so I will use Dropbox until / unless something else comes along that's beartter!

Again, my sincere thanks to all who responded.

Regards,

BearPup

#10 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:38 AM

Keep in mind that if you have a smartphone or tablet, you can download the Dropbox app and share your files with those devices. It's as good as a backup. When I got a new PC a while back, I used the Dropbox mobile app to share my files with my PC. And I did the same when I got a new smartphone in April.

#11 BearPup

BearPup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:02 PM

Hi frankp316,

Yes, I already downloaded the apps for my laptop and netbook, and everyone is connected and sharing files. Its much faster than MS OneDrive, and hasn't hit me with unreasinable security checks (so far just one email verification link). And backup is exactly what I have in mind. There are a half-dozen files that get updated on a monthly basis, and these I will synch with a specified shared folder. For other projects I wil either do the flash drive route (like when I have a couple of GBs to transfer), or let Dropbox copy them if there aren't too many of them.

It truly appears to be the solution I was looking for, and without hardware changes / upgrades.  I very much appreciate your sharing it with me.

Regards,

BearPup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users