Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seems my USB left me...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 NorbertA

NorbertA

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:46 PM

I am running an ASUS Laptop less than 6 months old which was fine until apparently I connected a Mr. Worng to it by way of an USB-plug. Mr. Wrong was an old Olympus µ700 pocket camera, where I wanted to get at the images.

After this, none of the USB ports is operating any more. Mouse is not working, external memory the same, though they work on another computer- as they did on this one here prior to Mr. Wrong.

I checked on the hardware manager and this looks a little strange to me (but I do not know much about what is under the hood with computers) and I have to translate from German, so the wording might be not exactly what you have in English:

Hardware manager gives under the heading of 'other devices' two warnings of (1) 'unknown device' and (2) 'USB - Controller', both marked in the icon with a little black exclamationmark on yellow ground. Checking the properties of these units I get the message, that there are no drivers installed for these units. Trying automatic update of drivers failed.

Further down in the hardware.manager there is an entry 'USB-Controller' with the item 'Intel® USB 3.0 eXtensible-Hostcontroller - 0100 (Microsoft' which looks fine with driver information and all that.

I tried system recovery to a point a few days ago, but still my USBs are down.

Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:29 PM

I am running an ASUS Laptop less than 6 months old which was fine until apparently I connected a Mr. Worng to it by way of an USB-plug. Mr. Wrong was an old Olympus µ700 pocket camera, where I wanted to get at the images.

After this, none of the USB ports is operating any more. Mouse is not working, external memory the same, though they work on another computer- as they did on this one here prior to Mr. Wrong.

I checked on the hardware manager and this looks a little strange to me (but I do not know much about what is under the hood with computers) and I have to translate from German, so the wording might be not exactly what you have in English:

Hardware manager gives under the heading of 'other devices' two warnings of (1) 'unknown device' and (2) 'USB - Controller', both marked in the icon with a little black exclamationmark on yellow ground. Checking the properties of these units I get the message, that there are no drivers installed for these units. Trying automatic update of drivers failed.

Further down in the hardware.manager there is an entry 'USB-Controller' with the item 'Intel® USB 3.0 eXtensible-Hostcontroller - 0100 (Microsoft' which looks fine with driver information and all that.

I tried system recovery to a point a few days ago, but still my USBs are down.

Any help would be appreciated.

This is just a shot in the dark, but you could go to the support page of the Asus website and download the chipset for your laptop.

As a rule, the chipset handles the USB drivers, so maybe you'll get lucky.

All is well in Paradise.

#3 NorbertA

NorbertA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:13 PM

Tanks for the idea.

Prior to running this software - do I run any risk of messing up completely?

My problem is, that my model name (F550L) is not given in the selection window. The computer's ID however starts with F550LD, which is in the selection window - but with a literal name I never heard about ('ASUS Vivo Book') and do not find anywhere on my laptop.

So, actually, I am not so very sure if I have the right chipset - and would not want to go where there might be no coming back

#4 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:50 PM

Tanks for the idea.

Prior to running this software - do I run any risk of messing up completely?

My problem is, that my model name (F550L) is not given in the selection window. The computer's ID however starts with F550LD, which is in the selection window - but with a literal name I never heard about ('ASUS Vivo Book') and do not find anywhere on my laptop.

So, actually, I am not so very sure if I have the right chipset - and would not want to go where there might be no coming back

I know the Vivobooks well.

What size is it?

Is it an Aluminum model?

Perhaps a 15 inch S500?

14 inch S400? 12 inch X202e?

Or a 12 inch plastic X200?

Which processor does it have?

Does it have more than one hard drive inside, in other words, does it have a caching SSD in it?

If you get really stuck for the model number, you can install a program called BelArc that takes approx 6 or 7 minutes to install, and it wil be able to tell you the model and many other details.

All is well in Paradise.

#5 NorbertA

NorbertA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:29 PM

Okay, here is what I got:

I downloaded and installed BelArc Advisor and verified my model name (X550LD) which led to the same chipset version as F550LD.

I downloaded this software and tried to install it.

No luck. I get infomed that an unknown error occurred and setup was aborted. Tried this more often, allways to the same result.

Does not look too good, does it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users