Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Toshiba 1TB 3.0 USB External Drive cord keeps falling out

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 IStillBelieve

IStillBelieve

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:00 PM

I just got it in hopes of making a systme image of my old HP 6910p running windows ultimate so I can try to reinstall which a whole other issue.  So, I plugged it in and ran one back up.  Shut down and plugged it into my Dell to run a good back up on that but when I plugged it in I could only view it in my device manager.  I opened disc management and could see it but it was blacked out and said unallocated.  So, I started running through the steps to recover but as I'm doing this, any movement at all and the cord would fall out.  Once I was trying to keep it still but somehow I must have moved because it had fallen out without me noticing during a scan.  I didn't notice until hours later when the chkdsk said there was nothing to scan.  I tried the Toshiba support page but I didn't see where they offer a lot of support for this thing.  I never even got the chance to register it before this happened. 

Is there any hope or should I just return it?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:17 PM

It is "unallocated" because it is new. You need to create and format new partitions first before you can start using it.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/create-format-hard-disk-partition#create-format-hard-disk-partition=windows-7

Edited by badr0b0t, 26 August 2014 - 12:19 PM.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:23 PM

I am assuming the cord is falling out of the microUSB port on the drive. It may be a bad cord but I would return it if you can.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,282 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:51 AM

I'd vote for returning it.  Either the cable or the connector is broken.  I'd suspect the connector on the drive has been damaged.  Normally the cables won't plug in if they are damaged, due to being bent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users