Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cleaning Slack...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ThisAintHawaii

ThisAintHawaii

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:41 AM

I would like to sell a computer, but don't know what to look for when using a utility to clean previously deleted space. Someone told me ONLY to use the Gutmann algorithm, but I really know nothing about any of the other methods.

I really don't want to spend a ton of money either since it's probably not something I'll use for quite some time aside from now....so as inexpensive as possible would be good.

Anyone have any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 05 June 2006 - 09:30 AM

Hello and welcome to BC.
Using the Gutman is like dropping a nuclear bomb on an ant hill. It work but why? I preform a wipe on every clean install, except for new drives. The utility I prefer is Digtal Dolly, but Active@KillDisk-Drive Wipe Utility will do the same job. KillDisk only does a "Quick Wipe" While DD has a full suite of utilities.
The Gutman wipe makes 38 overwrites, while the Quick wipe makes only one overwrite.
KillDisk is a freeware that provide a Quick wipe solution.

Hope this helps.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2006 - 09:35 AM

You can use, and fortunately it is absolutely free, Eraser to overwrite unused sections of your hard drive. You can elect to use the Gotmann alogorithm, and it will overwrite the empty space with it 35 times (this can be a lengthy process, so Eraser has other and faster options that might suffice). You can download Eraser from:

Eraser

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2006 - 12:26 PM

Hello and welcome to BC.
Using the Gutman is like dropping a nuclear bomb on an ant hill.

:thumbsup: yep, aint that the truth...
I use Eraser for my "once a month whether it needs it or not"
cleaning with 3 passes followed by a defrag.
If I was giving it away I would use DBaN and the 7 pass DoD method
to wipe the entire drive.(of course you would need to reinstall your OS then)

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users