Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Psu Fan Speed Too Low?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jackpine

Jackpine

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:20 AM

My system includes an Enermax Liberty 500W psu and an Asus P5LD2 Deluxe motherboard. I have installed the Asus Probe utility for displaying temperatures and fan speeds.

When I check, all temps and rpms are green, i.e., normal, except for the psu fan. It reads typically about 920 rpm. Asus Probe shows this as red, and gives me a warning about the psu fan rpm.

The psu manual indicates that normal psu fan speed is in the range 800 to 2000 rpm.

Does the fact that I get usually around 920 rpm mean that there may be a problem with psu cooling? Should it be higher? Is there anything that I need to adjust?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:50 AM

There is no problem with the PS.
It uses speed control and will increase rpm's if needed. That is why the manual gives you such a wide speed range.
It also has a 120mm, 7 blade fan which doesn't need to run as fast as some of the older, smaller fan equipped PS's.
Enermax is one of the best PS's out there. Nice choice.
Just kick the warning level up on AsusProbe if you keep it running in the background.
It's default fan speed detection settings are more or less "generic". It only reads rpm's, it has no way of knowing your PS is using a high volume fan.

Edited by HitSquad, 05 June 2006 - 08:59 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users