Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Matic....is it good or bad for my computer?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ole Lawrence

ole Lawrence

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:41 AM

I see TV ads for PC Matic....up to 5 computers for $50/year and it is supposed to have an antivirus component.    I already

pay $50/year for AVG 2014 virus protection for one computer....and I've never been disappointed with AVG's performance.

Is it worth switching to PC Matic?? 

ole Lawrence   :thumbup2:

Edited by hamluis, 26 August 2014 - 07:46 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to All Other Applications - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Will5200

Will5200

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:51 AM

Feel free to read what some folks posted on WOT (Web of Trust):

https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/pcmatic.com?utm_source=addon&utm_content=popup-donuts

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:47 AM

Amazon User Reviews

BC does not support the use of "registry cleaners/optimizers" on any Windows system.

Microsoft support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2563254

Registry cleaner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registry_cleaner

Registry Cleaner FAQ, PC Support - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/registry-cleaner/a/registry-cleaner-faq.htm

Registry Cleaner, Animal - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/526247/tune-up-utilities-2014-problem/?p=3303494

Louis

#4 ole Lawrence

ole Lawrence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:51 AM

Thanks to both Will and Louis.  I believe I'll just stay with my AVG 2014 antivirus.   I just renewed with them....been with them for the past 2 years and

like I said, I've never had any complaints.  They've always met the challenge and protected my desktop and laptop computers from viruses and

kept them tuned.   For $50/year....that's all I ask.  Thanks again for your info.   

ole Lawrence  

#5 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2014 - 03:51 PM

Scamware. Nuff said.

#6 rgengstrom

rgengstrom

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2014 - 11:40 AM

Interesting that BC does not recommend cleaners? of any kind.  I usually do a decent job of keeping my computer tuned up.  I was using AVG and CCleaner for most of my protection and cleanup.  Along comes this hokey sounding PC MATIC.  After a little research along with approaching that inevitable time for me to clean install windows again; an event that usually happens every year or two.  I decided to try PC MATIC and I was surprised and pleased with the results!  It did such a good job of tuning up my computer that I no longer need to reinstall windows 7 pro.  I am an engineer using Solidworks so a well oiled machine is important to me.  PC MATIC is worth it IMO and I have since installed it on the other computers here.  $50.00/year for 5 computers is a great price to boot.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 16 October 2014 - 01:13 PM

Interesting that BC does not recommend cleaners? of any kind.

Where did you get the idea that BC does not recommend cleaners of any kind?
The only thing we don't recommend/endorse are registry cleaners.

We do recommend OTHERS, such as CCCleaner with the caveat to NOT use the registry cleaner component.
TFC and ATF are the other two that come to mind.

If we did not recommend ANY cleaners then we would not be using many of the tools for malware removal, such as AdwCleaner, Junkware Removal Tool and others.

Anything PC Matic does can be done by built in Windows functions or free reputable 3rd party programs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users