Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Conflicting IP address issue on fleet of laptops

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 educationfiend

educationfiend

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:24 AM

Hello, I have a small fleet of laptops on my network, all Windows 7.  Occasionally a couple of them will display the "conflicting IP address" problem, which the ipconfig DOS commands doesn't fix, but a simple reboot does fix.

Is this a cause for concern?  Or should I not worry too much and continue as I am rebooting the machines when the occasionally display this error message?

Thanks,

ef

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:00 AM

Go into the control panel, on each computer, find the appropriate adapter and assign it a static IP address.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/19249/how-to-assign-a-static-ip-address-in-xp-vista-or-windows-7/

Have a great day!
:bananas: :bounce:

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,926 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:47 AM

I would also check to see if your DHCP server has a large enough range to provide an IP address to every computer and printer on the network.

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:02 PM

You should be concerned.  You may have network issues preventing communication with the dncp server.  Someone may have brought their own router in and its acting as a dhcp server in the same subnet causing the conflict.  One of the first things to look at is the lease time on the dhcp scope. It should be long enough for a work day but not longer if these are being mobile off site.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users