Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

How do I upgrade (not buy new) graphic card?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_IStillWork_*

Guest_IStillWork_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:45 AM

Also, would it help with performance? Because I have a video game, & when I turn on shadows it gets a little laggy.

NOTE:I'm very unfamiliar with these sorta things.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2014 - 04:40 AM

Hi -

The question is almost a double negative, from what I know !!

To "upgrade a card", you can either hunt for a newer release of drivers, or beg / borrow / steal a newer card.

Since drivers are not usually upgraded on a regular basis, I would go another card ..........

Post a Speccy link in the Hardware area >>

Method is >> Please post a snapshot with Speccy for more system details -
How to Publish a snapshot with Speccy <<== Full Directions Here (only Copy / Paste the link)

Regards -

#3 Guest_IStillWork_*

Guest_IStillWork_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:44 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/QnDxKdwaWFNXzE6dvq4KiaV

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:27 PM

According to your Speccy report, this computer is a Toshiba notebook. Since it is normally impossible to change video cards in laptops as I see it you have two choices. As noknojon said, you can see if there are newer drivers for this on either the Toshiba or the ATI Radeon web-sites. Your other chance is to have a look at the ATI Radeon forums to see if anybody has come up with any tweaks to improve performance.

You do not say what game it is you are trying to play. If the game is MS Hearts and it's laggy - you have a problem. If it's WoW and you are trying to play it flat out, your hardware almost certainly can't and you are going to have to accept some compromises with your graphic display.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:16 AM

Typically a laptop is not very good in gaming unless you're dumping like 3 grand into it and custom build it to your liking. In most cases turning on shadows is a performance hit even on powerful game rigs.

#6 Dacar92

Dacar92

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:38 AM

Typically a laptop is not very good in gaming unless you're dumping like 3 grand into it and custom build it to your liking. In most cases turning on shadows is a performance hit even on powerful game rigs.

As technonymous said, many laptops aren't made to play games.  However some are and if you choose to look for a new one make sure you do your homework.  For example, I use an Acer laptop with a discrete graphics chip and memory, but it is not replacable.  Some will have discrete graphics chips that use system memory rather than it's own, so there will be many options out there.  Turning down the games' graphics options may be your only option short of getting a new computer.  What game is it and do you know how to ghet top the graphic options settings?

What's the point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes? -- The Doctor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users