Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bloated User Profile

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 05 June 2006 - 07:51 AM

While browsing thru my SYSTEM PROPERTIES/USER PROFILES, I discovered that my profile as Administrator was about 800KB, while the profile under User is 3.50GB.
A search with 'profile' brought up a swag of files but nothing that large. Is there somewhere I can view this user profile and maybe skinny it down quite a bit as it seems astronomically large??
Thanks

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:14 AM

It contains personal preferences in the way your op system and aps operate, and it would be self defeating to "skinny it down".

The reason for larger hard drive today which are much, much larger than they used to be is that the op systems are considerably more complex and take more room - and 800kbs is really insignificant, especially in something as critical as this is.

Leave it alone!

If you are running out of room on your hard drive the best solution is to clean all temp files, internet and internal, etc, and add a second drive as a slave.
Leave your op system alone.

Edited by Enthusiast, 05 June 2006 - 08:16 AM.

#3 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:40 AM

Thanks Enthusiast. I agree that 800KB is minimal but, it was the 3.50GB that concerned me. However, I note your advice and take it gratefully. Thanks again.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 05 June 2006 - 09:48 AM

It may be, in addition, that the User Account contains the user's My Documents file which would explain the size. If you are concerned about the size, you might conduct a review of what is stored there and save unneeded data to disk.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users