Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop shuts off Randomly

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Rinkashime

Rinkashime

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:36 PM

This is a difficult question. I have an ASUS K72J series laptop that is over 4 years old.

My laptop shuts off randomly in high power demanding games (no warning/no lag). It is NOT hardware or heat. It is NOT the power supply. That really only leaves software but I am at a wits end trying to figure out what/why/how. I have updated all drivers and DriectX. The computer works fine - hours on end - but as soon as I try to play a 'heavy' game it lasts about 5-10 minutes and then shuts off. (These three games have triggered it - Borderlands 2, League of Legends and Farming Simulator 2).

This issue bagan about 1 month ago after I recieved my laptop back from a proffessional computer repairer, as I had my display cable replaced (this was a separate visit from the one where I had the thermal-paste re-done). I will stress that it had never happened prior to recieving my laptop back. However I don't know how that could be the cause - it was pointed out to me by a friend that It could have something to do with full-screen games and an issue with them that closes it, I haven't tested that yet by playing them in Windowed mode.

Here is some further explanation:

Power Supply: I have run Borderlands 2 on battery power only, AC power only and on AC + Battery power. Same shut down problem happened everytime.

Heat Issue: I know it is not heat as I had the heat-sinks and thermal-paste re-done. Also the computer place I took it too ran a stress test and had temps up around 90C (and it didn't shut down) and my laptop gets nowhere near that in-game (I ran  some software and monitored the motherboard, graphics card etc they never went above 65C before the laptop turned off - whilst playing a game). The computer place also had a look at the fan system thoughout my laptop and said it was/is working fine.

Updates: As I said I have updated all drivers and DriectX and I always keep the windows updates up-to-date. I have looked at event logs and cannot find and 'critical' issues reported (or any issues for that matter) that describe the problem or match up with the time of each shut down. (however I do not use these much so may miss something or not be looking for the right things).

Thanks for any ideas/help

Edited by Rinkashime, 25 August 2014 - 11:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:16 AM

Hi Rinkashime,

So the computer place that seated and used the thermal paste, could be the issue.  Let me explain.

Asus computers in different models have this issue, and its usually after a repair.  More than likely the repair place removed the thermal pad, and replaced it with thermal paste.  Pads are the tops in GPU and Process heat transfer.  at 90C I would be a little worried but at 65C you should be OK.  Assuming that your device is OK with the connection of the Processor and the heat sink (meaning there are no air bubbles or gaps allowing it to surge, etc then I would look at your BIOS settings.

In most, not all BIOS settings, you can select and change the max and min shutdown temp for the machine.  Are these present?  If so are they sent about the temps that your device is throwing at you?  I would check.

Here is a overview of the Asus you have, including temps, how games handle and a given stress test they used.  Take a look at it and see if your getting the same numbers.  If you are not, then I would check the BIOS (make sure you keep it insides the guidlines for the processor you have, dont want to fry it).

I would then get the thermal paste or pad reseated and try it again. 

From there I would need a lot more info on what your computer has, etc.

good luck

cz

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#3 Rinkashime

Rinkashime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 06:43 PM

Hey czarboom,

Thank you for your quick reply and apologies for my slow reply. Life got quite busy for a while after I posted about this.

I looked through the BIOS and could not find settings for max/min shutdown temperatures. However whilst there I noticed the version of the BIOS and found an updated version of it from ASUS. After careful planning and cautionary proceeding I updated the BIOS succesfully to the latest version. First time I've done that and I didn't make any mistakes :D

I also had the the thermal paste (I'm fairly sure that's what they are doing) re-done at the computer place.

aaaaannnd ... ... ... It still shut down when playing Borderlands 2.

So that's an update on what has happened, any more insights would be greatly appreciated,

Rink.

PS: The computer occasionally makes sounds that I don't believe (hard to tell because I never really payed much attention to it) have been occuring until quite recently, I don't know what this could mean but the sound the computer makes when it does shut off is a nasty sounding pop (thats as best I can describe it). No idea if this tells you anything.

Edited by Rinkashime, 03 September 2014 - 06:59 PM.

#4 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:24 PM

Not good, that is usually a static build up grounding.  I wonder if when the computer place did their work, they used the same rubber washers, bushings and grounding as before.  With your BIOS update, was there a Chipset update as well?  If there is in the future always do the chipset then bios. 

I would think you are getting a thermal shutdown due to broken part, or something on the boards, or grounding is not correct, causing static Arcing which is explained here

Look at your power supply also.  Does the chord either to the computer or to the wall have what looks like a round or squard box somewhere on the cable.  (Not the rectangle box that is the power supply) but just on the chords?  This limits and stops this issue.  Check to see again if it does it on just battery, or when plugged in??

Lastly I had a HP that did this as well.  I in the end, backed up all files, made and got the recovery and backup disks.  And did a clean reinstall of the OS.  If you do this remember to get the codes for the OS and Office etc. 

Here is a guide by Microsoft on doing this.

Belive it or not updates in the motherboard and OS can trick items like fans and SCRs into different states.  The gates that control these parts get the wrong coding, or dont remember what is normal.  Blowing out the computer, and starting over is how you get rid of it.

CLEAN INSTALL OF WINDOWS

You could also ground it yourself, but if your not good or understand how to do that I would not.

good luck

cz

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#5 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:19 AM

When was the last time you re-installed Windows?

Average users never do it, unless they come to me and I deem it necessary, but gamers usually do it at least once a year and avid techs like myself, do it 3 or 4 times a year.

As time goes on, the system slows down and strains more and glitches develop.

Your laptop may be 100% healthy and just in need of a fresh OS installation.

I imagine your machine comes with an OEM restore partition, correct?

NB: Naturally all data will have to be backed up.

If you're an avid gamer, find out where the game's progress files are stored and copy them too.

You will lose all your programs and they will need to be reinstalled.

For the future, you can make a Windows System Image after you get your system all set up, so that if you ever need to reinstall the system, you won't have to start from scratch.

Installing a System Image can take as little as 10 minutes, depending on the machine and how much data you have, but the point is that it's an easy fast job.

To be 100% clear. I am not saying that I know that the worn out OS is causing your problem. For all I know, the game itself might be corrupt or you may have some bad ram, etc.

All I'm saying is that installing a fresh copy of Windows is probably long overdue anyhow, and if it happens to fix the problem at the same time, yippee.

All is well in Paradise.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 02:10 PM

Well...that's a pretty drastic "solution" that isn't a solution at all, since we don't know what the problem is.  The truth is system shutoffs are not likely to be the result of Windows since the obvious would be overheating and/or hardware...and doing a reinstall of Windows where the issue hasn't been defined...is apt to be a complete waste of time, IMO.

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#7 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 04 September 2014 - 05:17 PM

I agree, that the first place I would look is overheating, but the OP said,

"It is NOT hardware or heat. It is NOT the power supply. That really only leaves software"

PS: Perhaps you misunderstood what I wrote.

To be 100% clear. I am not saying that I know that the worn out OS is causing your problem. For all I know, the game itself might be corrupt or you may have some bad ram, etc.

All I'm saying is that installing a fresh copy of Windows is probably long overdue anyhow, and if it happens to fix the problem at the same time, yippee.

All is well in Paradise.

#8 Rinkashime

Rinkashime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 05:20 PM

OK, Just to start things off, I have never done a re-install of the OS, my laptop is about 4 years old so as you say it probably needs to be done.

As for the requested information, here is a link to a Google doc with the MiniToolBox diagnosis (it was quite long so I didn't want to clutter up this feed):

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XVuUA74_BKmGqwGEljuI-8mnaMXff-IJUFsbwnp-vlg/edit?usp=sharing

AND here is the speccy link:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/W0EBA7nE3c0v1cF4vFhEQLP

And CZ I re-checked the battery, power cable situation; still happens, the cable from laptop to power adapter DOES have a round cylinder on it. OH, and there was a chipset update I could see so yeah I didn't get that one done :( and I thought I researched so thoroughly haha).

Rink

Edited by Rinkashime, 04 September 2014 - 05:35 PM.

#9 Rinkashime

Rinkashime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 05:42 PM

Could this issue have anything to do with the display cable? Can the display cable cause something like this? I will make it explicit this issue did not occur prior to having my display cable replaced.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users