Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help me buy a laptop

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sean999

sean999

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:28 PM

Please help me buy a laptop. I am looking in the $700 range (after discounts, sales, etc). Of course, less expensive is better. I am not into gaming or do any video editing. I just use a laptop for web surfing, word processing, streaming movies & TV, Skype, iTunes, and basic things like these.  I am hoping for at least an i5 processor, 500GB storage (a hybrid SSD drive would be great!!), and 8GB memory if possible. A 15.6” screen is mandatory.  

An important note: I WAS very seriously considering a Lenovo Z50 (great specs, including i5 processor, 8GB RAM, 500GB hybrid SSD) until I actually saw the laptop. I have never seen a cheaper keyboard ever, and I just did not want to buy something that looked and felt so cheap and flimsy despite the great specs.

Please do not recommend an Apple. I know some people love them, but if you recommend one you’re just wasting your time J

Thank you for any help in narrowing my search!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:19 AM

If you're willing to go with a refurbished or reconditioned laptop you can get more machine for less  money.

Woot! (An Amazon company) typically has a few available.  There are quite a few i7s there in your range.

#3 sean999

sean999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:46 AM

If you're willing to go with a refurbished or reconditioned laptop you can get more machine for less  money.

Woot! (An Amazon company) typically has a few available.  There are quite a few i7s there in your range.

Thanks, but I'll be staying away from refurbished. I just haven't had much luck with refurbished products in the past.

#4 djmiiller

djmiiller

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:12 PM

What OS will you be wanting to have on it?

Edited by djmiiller, 26 August 2014 - 12:17 PM.

#5 sean999

sean999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:16 PM

What OS will you be wanting to have on it?

Windows 8.1

#6 djmiiller

djmiiller

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:39 PM

I looked around for awhile and I found one with everything you said you wanted except for the 500 SSD. It has a 750 hard drive but it is touch screen and seem to be $50 over what you wanted to spend but it was the closest thing I could find to what you were wanting. Here is the link  http://www.amazon.com/HP-m6-n012dx-TouchSmart-16-Inch-Touch-Screen/dp/B00L9M3LLS/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=1-1&keywords=laptop Hope that helps.

DJ

#7 sean999

sean999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:52 PM

A quick follow-up: Someone has suggested, "For your applications you can easily operate with a laptop that costs less than $500. I would then replace the HDD with a SSD or SSHD. A 240GB SSD or a 1TB SSHD can be purchased for less than $100."

So I will look into doing this too. 

#8 sean999

sean999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:40 PM

I looked around for awhile and I found one with everything you said you wanted except for the 500 SSD. It has a 750 hard drive but it is touch screen and seem to be $50 over what you wanted to spend but it was the closest thing I could find to what you were wanting. Here is the link  http://www.amazon.com/HP-m6-n012dx-TouchSmart-16-Inch-Touch-Screen/dp/B00L9M3LLS/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=1-1&keywords=laptop Hope that helps.

DJ

This is an excellent choice.  Thanks 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users